Surgical treatment of vascular ring
Seven patients with vascular ring have been operated upon since 1965 at the Keio University Hospital with one operative death and three late deaths. Four patients had double aortic arch and 3 had right aortic arch with left ductus arteriosus. The lesser arch was divided in the four cases of double aortic arch. Ductus or ligamentum was divided in the three cases of right aortic arch with left ductus arteriosus or ligamentum arteriosum. Respiratory distress seems to constitute major cause of post-operative death and complete relief from respiratory and swallowing difficulties was achieved in only two out of the seven cases.
Associated anomalies of the face and nasolaryngeal regions with vascular ring were found in three of the 6 infants. Postoperative results seemed to be less satisfactory in those with these associated anomalies. A proposal is made to call such association as vascular ring-facial syndrome.
Key Wordsvascular ring arch anomalies vascular compresion vascular ring-facial syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Criswold, H. E. and Young, M. D.: Double aortic arch. Report of two cases and review of the literature, Pediatrics 4: 751–768, 1949.Google Scholar
- 5.Edwards, J. E.: Vascular rings; Pathology of the heart and blood vessels, edited by Gould, S. E., pp. 433–454, Charles C. Thomas, Springfied, 1968.Google Scholar
- 6.Gammelgard, A., Therkelsen, F. and Boesen, I.: Surgical treatment of vascular ring in infants. A follow-up examination, J. Cardiov. Surg. 4: 502–511, 1963.Google Scholar
- 7.Gross, R. E.: Vascular anomalies in the thorax producing compression of the trachea and esophagus. The surgery of infancy and childhood, pp. 913–935, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1953.Google Scholar
- 9.Keith, J. D., Rowe, R. D., and Vlad, P.: Heart disease in infancy and childhood, pp. 432–448, McMillan, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- 12.Neuhauser, E. B. D.: The roentgen diagnosis of double aortic arch and other anomalies of the great vessels, Amer. J. Roentgen. 56: 1–12, 1946.Google Scholar
- 13.Stewart, J. R., Kincaid, C. W. and Edwards, J. E.: An atlas of vascular rings and related malformation of the aortic arch system, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield 1964.Google Scholar