Separation of polychlorinated biphenyls from chlorinated pesticides using aminopropyl bonded-phase cartridge and determination by GC-ECD
- 59 Downloads
Gas chromatography of polychlorinated biphenyls and chlorinated pesticides in water samples is carried out after adsorption from a 25–500 mL sample, on a cartridge containing 100 mg aminopropyl-bonded porous silica. The clean-up step in which the PCBs and chlorinated pesticides are separated in different eluates is achieved by passing 25 mL of 40% aqueous methanol through the NH2 Sep-Pak cartridge. The PCBs are desorbed with 500 μL ethylacetate, which is concentrated and analysis by GC-ECD. The average recovery, at 1 ppb is >97% with a standard deviation <2. The limits of detection are 0.1 ng μL−1 and 5 pg μL−1 respectively for Cl3-PCB and Cl8-PCB congeners. In the separation of PCBs from the chlorinated pesticides tested in this work, only the Aldrin is adsorbed for 60% with the PCBs by the NH2 Sep-Pak cartridge. The method described is rapid, simple and reproducible.
Key WordsGas chromatography Solid phase extraction Polychlorobiphenyls Clorinated pesticides Organochlorine separation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Jensen, New Sci.32, 612 (1966).Google Scholar
- O. Hutzinger, S. Safe, V. Zitko, The Chemistry of PCB's; CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA, 1974, p. 1.Google Scholar
- O. Hutzinger, S. Safe, V. Zitko The Chemistry of PCB's; CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA, 1974, pp. 202–206.Google Scholar
- N. Smodlaka, M. Devescovi, I. Ivancic, J. Etud. Pollut. Mar. Mediterr,5, 43 (1980).Google Scholar
- M. Picer, N. Picer, Ocean Sci. Eng.,8, 63 (1983).Google Scholar
- B. A. Pedersen, G. M. Higgins, LC-GC6, 1016 (1985).Google Scholar
- L. K. Marble, J. J. Delfino, American Laboratory20, 23 (1988).Google Scholar
- M. V. Russo, G. Goretti, A. Soriero, Annali di Chimica86, 115 (1996).Google Scholar