Determination of two metabolites of albendazole, albendazole-sulfoxide and albendazole-sulfone in cow's milk using an HPLC method —A systematic approach to optimise extraction conditions
- 153 Downloads
Reversed phase HPLC methods for the determination of two metabolites of albendazole in cow's milk are described. Albendazole is an anthelmintic agent used both in veterinary and human practice. Its main metabolites are albendazole-sulfoxide and albendazole-sulfone. The separation of the two metabolites was performed on a μ-Bondapak C-18 column using an acetonitrile/methanol/phosphate buffer as mobile phase, with detection at 290 nm. For the sample preparation of the milk samples we used solid phase extraction.
A new sample treatment optimisation procedure is also presented for the sample preparation method. Since sample preparation is a critical step in the analysis of residues in biological samples, the second part of our publication describes an optimisation using Taguchi's methodology that increased recovery, accuracy and reliability. After optimisation of the sample preparation, the limit of detection was 10 ng mL−1 milk and the recovery was 70–80% in the concentration range of 30–1000 ng mL−1 milk for both metabolities.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Solid phase extraction Sample treatment optimisation Taguchi method Albendazole metabolites Milk samples
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. J. Gyuric, A. W. Chow, B. Zaber, E. L. Brunner, J. A. Miller, A. J. Villani, L. A. Petka, R. C. Parish, Am. Soc. for Pharm. and Exp. Ther.9, 503 (1981).Google Scholar
- S. A. Barker, T. McDowell, B. Charkhian, L. C. Hsieh, C. R. Short, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem.73, 22 (1990).Google Scholar
- P. Galtier, M. Alvinerie, J. L. Steimer, P. Francheteau, Y. Plusquellec, G. Houin, J. of Pharm. Sci.80, 3 (1991).Google Scholar
- P. E. Hoaksey, K. Awadzi, S. A. Ward, P. A. Coventry, M. L'E. Orme, G. Edwards, J. Chromatogr.566, 244 (1991).Google Scholar
- E. Ludwig, A. Csiba, Municipal Hospital in Péterfy S. Street 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Macri, G. Bambilla, C. Civitareale, A. Bocca, Ital. J. Food Sci.3, 239 (1993).Google Scholar
- P. S. Chu, R. Y. Wang, T. A. Brandt, C. A. Weerasinghe, J. Chromatogr.620, 129 (1993).Google Scholar
- M. Hurtado, M. T. Media, J. Solelo, H. Jung, J. Chromatogr.494, 403 (1989).Google Scholar
- Zs. Romvári, S. Kemény, G. Pokol, J. Fekete; A new approach for development of rugged sample preparation of metabolites of albendazole in cow milk; Microchimica Acta; accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- G. E. P. Box, W. G. Hunter, J. S. Hunter, Statistic for Experiments, John Wiley & Sons, 1978.Google Scholar