The Moscow State Institute of Steel and Alloys: Past, present, and future (on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Moscow Mining Academy)
On September 14, 1918, the Moscow Mining Academy was established by decree of the Council of People's Commissars. The Academy graduated its first class of metallurgical engineers in 1924. Among the founders of the first research and teaching departments of the Academy were such distinguished metallurgical scientists as Academicians A. A. Baikov, M. A. Pavlov, and N. P. Chizhevskii and Professors V. E. Grum-Grzhimailo, N. A. Minkevich, K. P. Grigorovich, M. A. Bochvar, and G. G. Urazov. They knew how to instill a devotion to science and a civic spirit to their students, many of who eventually acceded to prominent positions in government, industry, and academia. Among those students: A. P. Zavenyagin, the first director of the Moscow Steel Institute and later director of the Magnitogorsk and Noril'sk metallurgical combines and Vice-Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the USSR: I. F. Tevosyan, Minister of Shipbuilding, then Minister of Ferrous Metallurgy and also Vice-Chairman of the Council of Ministers; V. P. Elyutin, Director of the Moscow Steel Institute and later Minister of Higher Education of the USSR; V. S. Emel'yanov, Chairperson of the Committee on Standards and then Vice-Chair of the Committee on Atomic Energy; P. F. Lomako, Minister of Nonferrous Metallurgy of the USSR; A. M. Samarin, Director of the Institute of Metallurgy of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.
In 1930, six large educational institutions were established on the basis of the schools of the Moscow Mining Academy: the Mining Institute, Institute of Ferrous Metallurgy (since 1931, the Steel Institute). Institute of Nonferrous Metals and Gold, Peat Institute, Petroleum Institute, Institute of Geological Prospecting. There were 675 students in the first course given in the metallurgical engineering school of the Steel Institute in 1930. In 1962, the Steel Institute absorbed the metallurgy and metallography schools of the Institute of Nonferrous Metals and Gold and was given a new name—the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys (MISiS). It gained the status of an engineering university in 1993. On the one hand, this change was a form of recognition of its achievements in research. On the other hand, it also gave the organization additional responsibilities in regard to the content of its curriculum, its research activities, and other functions. The changed status means that at MISiS the instructional process is grounded in basic science and encompasses a wide range of disciplines in the natural, applied, and social sciences.
KeywordsNonferrous Metal Ferrous Metallurgy Steel Institute Moscow State Institute Instructional Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.