On the inverse problem in transcutaneous bilirubinometry
- 10 Downloads
Transcutaneous bilirubinometry based on reflectance spectroscopy technique requires the development of suitable optical models of icteric skin and the solution of the inverse problem to derive pigment concentrations from spectral measurements. An algorithm is presented which allows the evaluation of bilirubin concentration during phototherapy. The present analysis shows that quantitative evaluation of bile pigment concentrations during phototherapy can be obtained with a good degree of accuracy by an inverse best-fit procedure; moreover, the knowledge of pigment kinetics makes this method almost independent of other conditions of the skin. The present results refer to the initial part of the phototherapy cycle and are based on a simple model of icteric skin; they may help to extend the application range of commercial transcutaneus bilirubinometer and to investigate the photoconfigurational transient of phototherapy.
PACS 87.50Biological effects of radiations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Wilson andR. R. Anderson: inOptronic Techniques in Diagnostic and Therapeutic Medicine, edited byR. Pratesi (Plenum Press, 1991), p. 73.Google Scholar
- J. F. Lucey, E. Nyborg andI. Yamanouchi:Pediatr. Res.,14, 604 (1980).Google Scholar
- R. E. Schumaker:Clinics in Perinatology,17, 417 (1990).Google Scholar
- A. K. Brown, M. H. Kim, G. Valencia, P. Nuchpuckee andG. Boyle: inNeonatal Jaundice, edited byF. F. Rubaltelli (Plenum Publishing Corp., New York, N. Y., 1984), p. 95.Google Scholar
- I. S. Saidi, S. L. Jacques andF. K. Tillel:SPIE, Vol.1280,Optical Fiber in Medicine V (1990), p. 569.Google Scholar
- S. Wan, R. R. Anderson andJ. A. Parrish:Photochem. Photobiol.,34, 493 (1981).Google Scholar
- R. R. Anderson andJ. A. Parrish: inBioengineering and the Skin, edited byR. Marks andP. A. Payne (1981), p. 245.Google Scholar
- I. S. Saidi, S. L. Jacques andF. K. Tittel:CLEO '91, Baltimore, MD, May 12–17, 1991, Techn. Digest Series, Vol.10, (CTuS3), p. 150.Google Scholar
- L. Ronchi, G. Agati, F. Fusi andR. Pratesi:SPIE, Vol.2084 (in press).Google Scholar
- T. Hegyi, M. Graff, V. I. Zapanta, M. Hiatt andT. R. C. Sisson:Am. J. Dis. Child.,140, 994 (1986).Google Scholar