Initial grain motion under oscillatory flow: A comparison of some threshold criteria
Experimental data are described on the threshold of transport of quartz, ilmenite, and cassiterite grains under oscillatory flow in a flume and the results are compared to those of other investigators. The results show that for a given particle size, critical shear stress (τcrit) increases with increasing wave period and that τcrit increases with both grain size and grain density. These data are compared with prediction equations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sternberg, R. W., and Larsen, L. H., 1975. Threshold of sediment movement by open ocean waves: Observations. Deep-Sea Research, v. 22, pp. 299–309.Google Scholar
- Manohar, M., 1955. Mechanics of bottom sediment movement due to wave action. Beach Erosion Board, Technical Memorandum, no. 75, 121 pp.Google Scholar
- Sleath, J. F. A., 1978. Measurements of bedload in oscillatory flow. Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE, v. 104, pp. 291–307.Google Scholar
- Komar, P. D., and Miller, M. C., 1973. The threshold of sediment movement under oscillatory water waves. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 43, pp. 1101–1110.Google Scholar
- Hallermeier, R. J., 1980. Sand motion initiation by water waves: Two asymptotes. Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Division, ASCE, v. 106, pp. 299–318.Google Scholar
- Komar, P. D., and Miller, M. C., 1974. Sediment threshold under oscillatory waves. Proceedings 14th Coastal Engineering Conference, v. 2, pp. 756–775.Google Scholar
- Komar, P. D., and Miller, M. C., 1975. On the comparison between the threshold of sediment motion under waves and unidirectional currents with a discussion of the practical evaluation of the threshold. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 45, pp. 362–367.Google Scholar
- Madsen, O. S., and Grant, W. D., 1975. The threshold of sediment movement under oscillatory waves, a discussion. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, v. 45, pp. 360–361.Google Scholar
- Nielson, P., 1979. Some basic concepts of wave sediment transport. Institute of Hydrodynamics and Hydraulic Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Series Paper 20, 160 pp.Google Scholar
- Sleath, J. F. A., 1974. Stability of laminar flow at seabed. Journal of Waterways, Harbours and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE, v. 100, pp. 105–122.Google Scholar
- Kamphuis, J. W., 1975. Friction factor under oscillatory waves. Journal of Waterways, Harbours and Coastal Engineering Division, ASCE, v. 101, pp. 135–144.Google Scholar
- Shields, A. A., 1936. Application of similarity principles and turbulence research to bedload movement. Mitteilungen de Preussischen Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau und Schiffbau, Berlin. In: W. B. Ott and J. C. von Uchelen (translators), California Institute of Technology, W. M. Kech Laboratory of Hydraulics and Water Resources, Report no. 167, 42 pp.Google Scholar