Qualitative analysis of a model generating long potential waves in Ba-treated nerve cells—I. Reduced systems
- 27 Downloads
This study is related to a model describing the behavior of barium-treatedAplysia neurons generating regular burst-plateau patterns. The model is represented by an autonomous dynamical system, defined inR 4 and depending on a small parameter. This paper is restricted to the qualitative study of three “reduced systems” deduced from the “complete system”. Part of the study is performed with the use of the qualitative theory of singular perturbations. The predicted behaviors are compared with experimental results.
KeywordsPeriodic Solution Singular Point Outward Current Potential Wave Slow Manifold
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arvanitaki, A. 1962. “Plateaux de Dépolarisation et Trains Paroxystiques de Pointes en Hyperthermie sur Certains Neurones Identifiables d'Aplysia.”C.R. Acad. Sci., Paris,255, 1523–1525.Google Scholar
- Chalazonitis, N. 1977. “Introduction to Neuronal Burst Activity.”J. Physiol, Paris,73, 441–452.Google Scholar
- Eckert, R. and H. D. Lux. 1976. “A Voltage-Sensitive Persistent Calcium Conductance in Neuronal Somata ofHelix.J. Physiol., Lond.,254, 129–151.Google Scholar
- El'sgol'c, L. E. 1964.Qualitative Methods in Mathematical Analysis. Am. Math. Soc. Providence, R.I.Google Scholar
- —, 1961. “Impulses and Physiological States in Theoretical Models of Nerve Membrane.”Biophys. J.,1, 445–466.Google Scholar
- Gola, M., C. Ducreux and H. Chagneux. 1977. “Ionic Mechanism of Slow Potential Wave Production in Barium-TreatedAplysia Neurons.”J. Physiol., Paris,73, 407–440.Google Scholar
- Mathieu, P. A. and F. A. Roberge. 1971. “Characteristics of Pacemaker Oscillations inAplysia Neurons.”Can. J. Physiol. Pharmac.,49, 787–795.Google Scholar
- Ulbricht, W. 1969. “The Effects of Veratridine on Excitable Membranes of Nerve and Muscle.”Ergebn. Physiol., Rev. Physiol.,61, 18–71.Google Scholar
- Wilson, W. A. and H. Wachtel. 1974. “Negative Resistance Characteristic Essential for the Maintenance of Slow Oscillations in Bursting Neurons.”Science,186, 932–934.Google Scholar
- Zeeman, E. C. 1973. “Differential Equations for the Heartbeat and Nerve Impulse”. InDynamical Systems, Ed. M. Peixoto, pp. 683–741. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar