A PCR-based method for mating type determination inCochliobolus heterostrophus
- 54 Downloads
A rapid and accurate method based on multiplex PCR using three different primers was developed for determining mating type inCochliobolus heterostrophus. The primers of MAT113 and MAT123 were uniquely derived fromMAT1-1 andMAT1-2, respectively, and the primer MATcon5 is conserved in the flanking regions of the idiomorphs. The amplification product was estimated to be 702 bp (MAT1-1) or 547 bp (MAT1-2). Crossing experiments confirmed the accuracy of this method, which requires less time than the conventional determination of mating type.
Key WordsCochliobolus heterostrophus mating type polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Leubner-Metzger, G., Yoder, O. C. and Turgeon, B. G. 1992. Transcripts at the mating-type region ofCochliobolus heterostrophus. Abstr. 6th Inter. Symp. Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact., Seattle, U.S.A., July 11–16, pp 7–11.Google Scholar
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F. and Maniatis, T. 1989. Molecular cloning—A laboratory manual, 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor.Google Scholar
- Turgeon, B. G., Yun, S. H. and Yoder, O. C. 1996. Conservation of mating type genes in Ascomycetes and their asexual relatives. Proc. 4th Inter. Symp. Mycol. Soc. Japan: Recent advances in mycotechnology, Kyoto, Japan, November 28–29, pp. 7–12.Google Scholar
- Ueyama, A. and Tsuda, M. 1975. Formation in culture ofCochliobolus miyabeanus, the perfect state ofHelminthosporium oryzae. Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Jpn.41: 434–440.Google Scholar
- Yoder, O. C. 1988.Cochliobolus heterostrophus, cause of southern corn leaf blight. In: Advances in plant pathology6. Genetics of plant pathogenic fungi (ed. by Ingram, D. D. and Williams, P. H.), pp. 93–112. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar