On crack-tip strain energy release rate in non-principal directions of elasticity for simple layer plate of composite materials
- 23 Downloads
In this paper, the fracture problem in non-principal directions of elasticity for a simple layer plate of linear-elastic orthotropic composite materials is studied. The formulae of transformation between characteristic roots, coefficients of elastic compliances in non-principal directions of elasticity and corresponding parameters in principal directions of elasticity are derived. Then, the computing formulae of strain energy release rate under skew-symmetric loading in terms of engineering parameters for principal directions of elasticity are obtained by substituting crack-tip stresses and displacements into the basic formula of the strain energy release rate.
Key wordsstrain energy release rate non-principal directions of elasticity central through crack skew-symmetric loading orthotropic composites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sih, G. C., P. C. Paris and G. R. Irwin, On cracks in rectilinearly anisotropic bodies,Intern. J. Fracture Mech.,1, 3 (1965), 189–203.Google Scholar
- Corten, H. T.,Fracture Mechanics of Composites, in Fracture VII, edited by H. Liebowitz, Academic Press, New York (1972), 710–716.Google Scholar
- Yang Wei-yang and Du Ba-xian, On crack-tip strain energy release rate for unidirectional plate of composite materials,J. Taiyuan Heavy Machinery Institute,13,3 (1992), 143–151. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Sih, G. C., E. P. Chen, S. L. Huang and E. J. McQuillen, Material characterization on the fracture of filament-reinforced composites,J. Composite Materials,9 (1975), 167–186.Google Scholar
- Sih, G. C. and E. P. Chen,Cracks in Composite Materials, inMechanics of Fracture VI, edited by G. C. Sih, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Hague (1981), 26–34.Google Scholar
- Yang Wei-yang. On crack-tip strains and dispalcements in non-principal directions of elasticity for unidirectional plate of orthotropic composite materials,J. Taivuan Heavy Machinery Institute,12, 1 (1991), 30–41. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Lekhnitskii, S. G.,Theory of Elasticity of an Anisotropic Elastic Body, translated by Hu Hai-chang, Science Press (1963), 34–42. (Chinese version)Google Scholar
- Liu Xi-li and Wang Bing-quan,Fundamentals of Composite Material Mechanics, Chinese Building Industry Press (1984), 25–34. (in Chinese)Google Scholar