Complement C3 polymorphism in sixteen populations of Colombia. Results of “Expedicion humana”
Blood samples of 1.022 individuals of both sexes, collected during the “Expedicion Humana” programme. Twelve Indian group, two Negroes, two urban and one mestizo populations of Colombia were C3 typed. The results showed the urban samples have C3*F genotype frequencies (17 and 20%) similar to the Spanish population. The Negroe system, with lower C3*F gene frequencies (3.5 and 7%) also resembled their parental populations in Africa. The Mestizo population reported in this study showed a lower value of the C3*F gene (2.2%) than previously studied. suggesting that the degree of admixture may vary in different regions of the country. As regards the Indian populations, there was a wide range of variation of the C3*F gene (0–19%) many tribes being monomorphic. This gene may be a marker of recent admixture in Amerindians, but there may be other genetic factors, such as selection and inbreeding in maintaining high levels of genetic polymorphism in tribes such as Guahibo.
KeywordsComplement polymorphism C3 Colombia Amerindians
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alper, C.A., Propp, R.P., 1968.Genetic polymorphism of the third component of human complement (C3). J. Clin. invest 47:2181–2191.Google Scholar
- Bernal, J.E., Sarmiento, P., Briceno, I., Papiha, S.S., 1989.Polymorphism of serum proteins (C3, BF, Hp and TF) of six populations in Colombia. Hum. Hered. 39: 94–98.Google Scholar
- Harada, Mano, S., Milsawa, S., 1975.Genetic polymorphism of the third complement component C3 in Japanese. Jap. J. Hum. Genet. 20: 141–146.Google Scholar
- Omoto, K., Misawa, S., Harada, S., Sunpaiko, S., Medado, P.M., Ogonuki, H., 1978.Population genetic studies of the Philippine Negritos. I. A. pilot survey of red cell enzyme and serum proteins groups. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 30: 190–201.Google Scholar
- Papiha, S.S., 1981.Genetic diversity of complement system: a study of C3 and Bf variation in human population.Bionature (India), 1: 29–34.Google Scholar
- Salzano, F.M., Callegary-Jaques, S.M., 1988. South American Indians. A case study in evolution. Oxford, Clarendon.Google Scholar