Population genetics of the people of Iran II. Genetic differentiation and population structure
- 4 Downloads
The genetic structure of six populations of Iran (Turks, Kurds, Lurs, Zabolis, Baluchis and Zoroastrians) was examined using data on blood groups, serum proteins and cell enzymes. Our results show conclusively that there are genetic differences among the six populations and the analysis of superimposed R and S matrices defined Harpending & Jenkins (1973) show by that the dispersion of some of the alleles correspond to the dispersion of the populations. The FST estimates are not large enough to favour selection on any of the loci studied. The FIT and FIS estimates are positive and moderately high suggesting that the genetic differentiation to some extent is influenced by inbreeding.
Key wordsPopulation genetics Iran population structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akbari M.T., Papiha S.S., Roberts D.F. and Farhud D.D., 1986a.Genetic differentiation among Iranian Christian communities. Amer. J. Hum. Genet. 38: 84–98.Google Scholar
- Akbari M.T., Papiha S.S., Roberts D.F. and Farhud D.D., 1986b.Population genetics of the Persians and other peoples in Iran. Z. Morph. Anthrop. 76: 197–217.Google Scholar
- Amirshahi P., Sunderland E., Farhud D.D., Tavakoli S.H., Daneshmand P., and Papiha S.S., 1992. Population Genetics of the peoples of Iran I.Genetic polymorphisms of blood groups, serum proteins and red cell enzymes. Inter. J Phy. Anthrop. 5:Google Scholar
- Ginter B.K., Garkavtseva R.F. and Revazov A.A., 1980.Population structure and hereditary disease in Uzbekistan. In: Population Structure and Genetic Disorders (eds: A. W. Eriksson, H. Forsius, H. R. Nevanlinna, P.L. Workman and R.K. Norio). London: Academic Press, pp. 327–336.Google Scholar
- Harpending H. C. and Jenkins T., 1973.Genetic distance among South African populations, in Methods and Theories of Anthropological Genetics (eds: M H Crawford, P L Workman), Albuquerque, University of New Mexico Press, pp 177–199.Google Scholar
- Harpending H.C. and Jenkins T., 1974.!Kung population structure, In: Genetic Distance (eds: J. F. Crow and C. F. Denniston), New York: Plenum Press. Pp. 137–161.Google Scholar
- Jorde L.B., Eriksson A.W., Morgan K. and Workman P.L., 1982.The genetic structure of Iceland. Hum. Hered. 32: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Papiha S.S., Chahal S.M.S., Roberts D.F., Murty K.J.R., Gupta R.L. and Sidhu L.S., 1984.Genetic differentiation and population structure in Kinnaur District, Himachal Pradesh, India. Hum. Biol., 56: 231–257.Google Scholar
- Roberts D.F., Jorde L.B. and Mitchell R.J., 1981.Genetic structure in Cumbria. J. Biosoc. Soc. 13: 313–336.Google Scholar
- Salzano F.M., 1975.Interpopulation variability in polymorphic systems. In: The Role of Natural Selection in Human Evolution (ed: F. M. Salzano). New York: American Elsevier, Pp. 217–229.Google Scholar