Real-time measurement of muscle fatigue related changes in surface EMG
A muscle fatigue indicating parameter is proposed, which can be computed from the surface EMG in real time by a simple analogue device. It is compared with the well known offline algorithms that are currently in use. It is fairly robust and a relatively good indicator.
KeywordsFatigue Real time Signal analysis Surface EMG
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bigland-Ritchie, B., Donavan, E. F. andRoussos, C. S. (1981) Conduction velocity and EMG-power spectrum changes in fatigue of sustained maximal efforts.J. Appl. Physiol.,51, 1300–1305.Google Scholar
- de Luca, C. J. (1979) Physiology and mathematics of myoelectric signals.IEEE Trans.,BME-26, 313–325.Google Scholar
- Hermens, H. J., Boon, K. L. andZilvold, G. (1984) The clinical use of surface EMG.Electromyogr. Clin. Neurophysiol.,22, 243–265.Google Scholar
- Kroon, G. andNaeye, M. (1985) EMG power spectrum changes during fatigue of the human masseter muscle at different concentration levels.Proc. Phys. Soc./J. Physiol.,366, 99.Google Scholar
- Lindström, L., Kadefors, R. andPetersén, I. (1977) An electromyographic index for localised muscle fatigue.J. Appl. Physiol.,43, 750–754.Google Scholar
- Lindström, L. andPetersén, I. (1981) Power spectra of myoelectric signals: motor unit activity and muscle fatigue. InNeurology I—clinical neurophysiology.Stålberg, E. andYoung, R. R. (Eds.), Butterworths International Medical Reviews, Butterworths, 66–87.Google Scholar
- Petrofsky, J. S., Glaser, R. M. andPhillips, C. A. (1982) Evaluation of the amplitude and frequency components of the surface EMG as an index of muscle fatigue.Ergonomics,25, 213–223.Google Scholar
- Sato, H. (1982) Functional characteristics of human skeletal muscle revealed by spectral analysis of the surface electromyogram.Electromyogr. Clin. Neurophysiol.,22, 419–516.Google Scholar