Effects of low-dose ethanol on rat progeny upon inhalation exposure during gestation
- 28 Downloads
Effects of ethanol in low concentrations on the course of pregnancy in rats and the development and metabolic characteristics of their progeny are studied: the morphology and function of pathological shifts are assessed and the level of endogenous ethanol in the blood and acetylcholinesterase activity in erythrocyte membranes measured. Inhalation exposure to ethanol is found to retard the development of the progeny. The consumption of ethanol by the progeny in the experimental group was 1.5 times higher than in the control. The results indicate that even trace amounts of ethanol in the atmosphere are toxic for the organism.
Key Wordsantenatal alcoholization endogenous ethanol progeny
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. L. Aksentsev, A. A. Milyutin, E. I. Belyaeva,et al., Biofizika, No 4, 650–652 (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.G. M. Arutyunyan and M. B. Annamukhamedov, in:Biomedical and Public Health Aspects of Air Quality Control [in Russian], Minsk (1986), pp. 39–44.Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Liopo and A. A. Patsenko, in:Current Topics Relating to the Standardization of Laboratory Animals for Biomedical Studies [in Russian], Part II, Moscow (1988), pp. 137–138.Google Scholar
- 4.A. V. Liopo, S. M. Zimatkin, Yu. A. Tarasov, and O. V. Chumakova,Zdravookhr. Belorussii, No 6, 18–21 (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.M. S. Omel'yanchik and A. V. Liopo,Gig. San., No 7-8, 40–42 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. M. Ostrovskii, M. N. Sadovnik, M. G. Velichko, and B. N. Gorenshtein,Izv. Akad. Nauk BSSR, Ser. Biol. Nauk, No 5, 96–99 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.Yu. M. Ostrovskii, V. I. Satanovskaya, and M. N. Sadovnik,The Biological Component in the Genesis of Alcoholism [in Russian], Minsk (1986).Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. A. Tarasov, V. I. Satanovskaya, S. N. Shishkin, and Yu. M. Ostrovskii,Farmakol. Toksikol., No 1, 80–83 (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.S. N. Shishkin, Yu. M. Ostrovskii, and P. S. Pron'ko,Vopr. Med. Khim., No 1, 129–133 (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.N. A. Abdulov, W. G. Wood, and R. A. Harris,Alcohol. Clin. Exp. Res. (1994).Google Scholar