Differences between August and Wistar rats in stress reactions and in the development of adaptation to stress
- 20 Downloads
Control and acutely stressed August rats have corticosterone levels 62% and 15% higher, respectively, than their Wistar counterparts, indicating that the activity of stress-mediating hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system in August rats is higher. On the other hand, the intensity of stress reactions and, consequently, the degree of activation of this system in August rats are 40–50% lower, as is the blood level of creatine phosphokinase. During adaptation to stress, August and Wistar rats show a similar decrease in the stress reaction and in its damaging effects. However, judging from the blood corticosterone/insulin ratio, adaptation to stress in August rats coincides with intensification of catabolic processes and a reduction in the efficiency of energy production.
Key WordsWistar rats August rats stress corticosterone insulin adaptation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. M. Gukasov, P. V. Sergeev, R. D. Seifulla, and Yu. A. Vladimirov,Byull. Eksp. Biol. Med.,77, No. 1, 54–57 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.V. V. Malyshev, E. N. Ekimov, and N. S. Kameneva, in:Physiology of Extremal States and Individual Protection of Man [in Russian], Moscow (1982), pp. 528–533.Google Scholar
- 5.E. V. Malysheva, A. V. Zamotrinskii, and I. Yu. Malyshev,Byull. Eksp. Biol. Med.,118, No. 8, 126–129 (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Z. Meerson,Adaptation Medicine: Mechanisms and Protective Effects of Adaptation [in Russian], Moscow (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Z. Meerson and I. Yu. Malyshev,The Phenomenon of Adaptative Stabilization of Structures, and Protection of the Heart [in Russian], Moscow (1993).Google Scholar
- 8.F. Z. Meerson and M. G. Pshennikova,Adaptation to Stressful Situations and Physical Exercise [in Russian], Moscow (1988).Google Scholar
- 9.L. E. Panin,Biochemical Mechanisms of Stress [in Russian], Novosibirsk (1983).Google Scholar
- 10.M. I. Ryakhovskaya, G. S. Grinenko, and L. M. Alekseeva,Khim.-Farm. Zh., No. 4, 16–18 (1991).Google Scholar
- 13.A. M. Lefer and M. L. Olgetree, in:Acute and Long-Term Medical Management of Myocardial Ischemia, Eds. A. Hjarimsonet al., Goteborg (1978), pp. 229–237.Google Scholar