Investigation of a model for estimating the attenuation of ultrasonic signals
- 28 Downloads
A flexible parametric random model of an ultrasonic signal is presented, by means of which a broad class of signals with well known properties can be simulated This model is used to examine two time-domain methods for estimating attenuation in soft tissue. It is shown that the estimate of attenuation given by these methods is in good agreement with values obtained experimentally and they are robust against large echoes in the ultrasonic signal. Since the amount of computation needed for estimation is feasible both methods are well suited for online implementation. The estimation methods are used forin vivo measurement of attenuation in liver tissue.
KeywordsAttenuation Signal model Tissue characterisation Ultrasound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dunn, F. (1976) Ultrasonic attenuation, absorption and velocity in tissues and organs. InUltrasonic tissues characterization.Linzer, M. (Ed.), NBS Special Publication 453.Google Scholar
- Kuc, R. Schwartz, M. andMicsky, L. (1976) Parametric estimation of the acoustic attenuation coefficient slope for soft tissue. Ultrasonic Symposium Proceedings, 1976, 44–47.Google Scholar
- Kuc, R. andSchwartz, M. (1979) Estimating the acoustic attenuation coefficient slope for liver from reflected ultrasound signals.IEEE Trans.,SU 26, 353–362.Google Scholar
- Kuc, R. (1980) Clinical application of an ultrasound attenuation coefficient estimation technique for liver pathology characterization.,BME-27, 312–318.Google Scholar
- Pohlhammer, J. D. andO’Brien, W. D. (1980) The relationship between ultrasonic attenuation and speed in tissues and the constituents: water, collagen, protein and fat. InMedical physics of CT and ultrasound: tissue imaging and characterization.Fullerton, G. D. andZagzebski, J. A. (Eds.), Medical Physics Monograph No. 6.Google Scholar
- Thijssen, J. M. (Ed.) (1980)Ultrasonic tissue characterization. Staften’s Scientific Publ. Co., Brussels.Google Scholar
- Wells, P. N. T. (1977)Biomedical ultrasonics. Academic Press.Google Scholar