The investigation of linkage between dermatoglyphics and blood groups using family data from three generations
The aim of this study was to use data from three generations to see if there was any suggestion of linkage between the dermatoglyphic palm characters and the ABO blood groups.
A sample of 237 Polish families (984 individuals) was analysed. The results provided provisional evidence that some linkage exist. There was a small number of apparent “linkages”. Further, when data were re-tested for association between dermatoglyphic palm patterns and ABO blood groups for all samples, the linkage was not confirmed due to sampling fluctuation or sampling errors.
Key wordsGenetic Linkage Quantitative characters Mendelian characters Polish Families Three Generations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bener A., Loesch D.Z. &Smith, C.A.B, 1980b.Simplified formulas for detecting linkage with a quantitative character. Ann. Hum. Genet., 43: 3, 249–254.Google Scholar
- Bener A., 1980b.Search for linkage between dermatoglyphic sole characters and blood groups. Hum. Hered., 30: 4, 215–220.Google Scholar
- Brues A.M., 1950.Linkage of bodybuild with sex, eye color, and freckling. Am. J. Human Genet., 2: 215–239.Google Scholar
- Hill A.P., 1975.Quantitative linkage; a statistical procedure for its detection and estimation. Ann. Hum. Genet., 38: 439–449.Google Scholar
- Loesch D., 1971.Genetics of dermatoglyphic patterns on palms. Ann. Hum. Genet., 34: 277–293.Google Scholar
- Loesch D., 1974.Genetical studies of sole and palmar dermatoglyphics. Ann. Hum. Genet., 37–419.Google Scholar
- Loesch D., 1975.Topological Formulations on Fingertips patterns: Comparison of complete and incomplete 21 trisomic with normal subject. J. Ment. Defic. Res., 19: 121–137.Google Scholar
- Penrose L.S., 1938.A clinical and genetic study of 1280 cases of mental defect. Special Report Series No. 229, Medical Research Council, London: HMSO.Google Scholar
- Penrose L.S. &Loesch D., 1970.Topological classification of Palmar Dermatoglyphics. J. Ment. Defic. Res. 14: 111–128.Google Scholar
- Smith C.A.B., 1975.A non-parametric test for linkage with a quantitative character. Ann. Hum. Genet., 38: 451–460.Google Scholar