The analysis of digital-palmar dermatoglyphics in a sample of individuals affected by essential hypertension
- 16 Downloads
In this research the digital and palmar dermatoglyphics of a sample of 97 individuals from Sardinia affected by essential hypertension were examined with the aim of identifying possible peculiarities. As already observed by other authors, the tendency towards a distal position of the axial triradius, a dermatoglyphic characteristic common in many pathologies, was also confirmed in our sample. Furthermore, some characteristics not observed in previous works which are distinctive to hypertensive subjects of both sexes are identified: a transversal tendency of the ridges and a greater asymmetry of the TRC (total ridge count). The asymmetry of the TRC is usually explained as a consequence of disturbances during embryologic development; in our case these disturbances seem to be represented by changes in arterial pressure levels originating during the prenatal period.
Key wordsdermatoglyphics essential hypertension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cummins H., Midlo C., 1961.Finger prints, palms and soles. An introduction to dermatoglyphics. Dover Publications, New York.Google Scholar
- Floris G., 1981.I dermatoglifi digito-palmari in un campione di sardi. Nota I. Bollettino Società Sarda Scienze Naturali, 28:121–128.Google Scholar
- Floris G., Pfanner P., Marini E., Battaglia A., Ferrari A.M., 1994.Dermatoglifi digitali e palmari nei soggetti con sindromi dismorfiche e nei loro familiari. Presentazione dei dati. Antropologia Contemporanea, 17 (2–3): 177–195.Google Scholar
- Jain P.K., Sharma B.K., Mathur B.D., 1984.Dermatoglyphics in essential hypertension. Journal of Association Physicians India, 32: 335–337.Google Scholar
- Palyzova D., Kuklik M., Berankova M., Schaumann B., 1991.Dermatoglyphics in juvenile hypertension. Anthropologischer Anzeiger, 49: 361–366.Google Scholar
- Pursnani M.L., Elhence G.P., Tibrewala L., 1989.Palmar dermatoglyphics in essential hypertension. Indian Heart Journal, 41: 119–122.Google Scholar
- Waddington C.H., 1957.The strategy of the genes. Mac Millan, New York.Google Scholar