Spectral galerkin approximation of couette-taylor flow
- 29 Downloads
Axisymmetric Couette-Taylor flow between two concentric rotating cylinders was simulated numerically by the spectral method. First, stream function form of the Navier-Stokes equations which homogeneous boundary condition was given by introducing Couette flow. Second, the analytical expressions of the eigenfunction of the Stokes operator in the cylindrical gap region were given and its orthogonality was proved. The estimates of growth rate of the eigenvalue were presented. Finally, spectral Galerkin approximation of Couette-Taylor flow was discussed by introducing eigenfunctions of Stokes operator as basis of finite dimensional approximate subspaces. The existence, uniquence and convergence of spectral Galerkin approximation of nonsingular solution for the steady-state Navier-Stokes equations are proved. Moreover, the error estimates are given. Numerical result is presented.
Key wordsNavier-Stokes equation Couette-Taylor flow spectral approximation Stokes operator
Chinese Library ClassificationO357.1 O241.82
2000 Mathematics Subject Classification65J15 47H15 65M60
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yasusi Takada. Quasi-periodic state and transition to turbulence in a rotating Couette system[J],J Fluid Mech, 1999,389(1):81–99.Google Scholar
- LI Kai-tai, HUANG Ai-xiang.The Finite Element Method and Its Application[M]. Xi'an: Xi'an Jiaotong University Press, 1988, 320–321. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- LIU Shi-da, LIU Shi-kuo.The Special Function[M]. Beijing: China Meteorological Press, 1988, 202–203. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- YANG Ying-chen.Mathematical Physics Equation and Special Function[M]. Beijing: National Defence Industry Press, 1991,160–162. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- XIAO Shu-tie, JU Yu-ma, LI Hai-zhong.Algebra and Geometry[M]. Beijing: Higher Education Publishing House, 2000,198–199. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- WANG Li-zhou, LI Kai-tai. Spectral Galerkin approximation for nonsingular solution branches of the Navier-Stokes equations[J].Journal of Computation Mathematics, 2002,24(1):39–52. (in Chinese)Google Scholar