Use of flow cell reactors to quantify biofilm formation kinetics
- 248 Downloads
A parallel plate flow cell reactor is introduced and used to evaluate cell adhesion and biofilm formation kinetics for four different bacterial strains of the species,E. coli. The reactor allows biofilm growth under defined, well-controlled fluid dynamics while providing continuous observations and direct sampling of biofilm for biological, chemical and physical analyses as well as immunofluorescent labeling.
KeywordsChemical Oxygen Demand Chemostat Culture Capillary Reactor Fresh Nutrient Solution Kinetic Growth Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atkinson, B. (1986) In:Process Engineering Aspects of Immobilized Cell Systems, C. Webb, G.M. Black, and B. Atkinson, eds., Inst. Chem. Eng. Rugby, Warwickshire.Google Scholar
- Bakke, R. (1986). “Biofilm Detachment”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Montana State University, Bozeman, MTGoogle Scholar
- Caldwell, D.E. and Lawence, J.R. (1988) In:CRC Handbook of Laboratory Model Systems for Microbial Ecosystems, vol. 1, J.W.T. Wimpenny, pp. 117–138., Florida: CRC PressGoogle Scholar
- Characklis, W.G. and Marshall, K.C., eds. (1990),Biofilms, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.Google Scholar
- Escher, A.R. (1986), “Bacterial colonization of a smooth surface: An analysis with image analyzer”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Montana State University, Bozeman, MTGoogle Scholar
- Huang, C.T. and Bryers, J.D. (1991), submitted toBiofouling Google Scholar
- Robison, D.K. and Wang, D.I.C. (1986) “A Novel Bioreactor System for Biopolymer Production”, presented at Biochemical Engineering V., Engineering Foundation Conference, Henniker, NHGoogle Scholar
- Sjollema, J., Busscher, H.J., and Weerkamp, A.H. (1988)Biofouling 1:101–112Google Scholar
- Trulear, M.G. (1983), “Cellular reproduction and extracellular polymer formation in the development of biofilms”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Montana State University, Bozeman, MTGoogle Scholar
- Turakhia, M.H. (1986), “The influence of calcium on biofilm processes”, Ph.D. Dissertation, Montana State University, Bozeman, MTGoogle Scholar
- Zimmerman, R. and Meyer-Reil, L. (1974)Kiel. Meeresforsch., 30: 24–27Google Scholar