Influence of solvent concentration on the microstructure of SiO2−TiO2 sol-gel films
- 166 Downloads
Spin-coating is one of the possible methodsfor the fabrication of optical planar waveguides. These have several applications in integrated optical devices, provided that their optical losses are below ≈1 dB/cm. The attenuation is caused in part by surface and bulk scattering. The latter depends on the microstructure of the films and, more particularly, the porosity, which is studied here. A series of SiO2−TiO2 films were prepared from solutions containing different concentrations of ethanol. The influence of the ethanol/(Si+Ti)alkoxides volume ratio on the porosity was investigated by Ellipsometry, Infrared Spectroscopy, and Scanning Electron Microscopy. The porosity volume fraction was found to reach a minimum when the ethanol volume ratio is near 4.
Keywordsethanol porosity scattering sol-gel films waveguides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Schroeder, inPhysics of Thin Films: Advance in Research and Development, edited by G. Hass and R. E. Thun (Academic Press, New York, 1969) Vol. 5, p. 119.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Barbier, X. Orignac, X.M. Du, and R.M. Almeida, inAdvanced Materials in Optics, Electro-Optics and Communication Technologies, edited by P. Vincenzini and G.C. Righini (Techna, Faenza, 1995), p. 33.Google Scholar
- 8.X. Orignac, X.M. Du, D. Barbier, and R.M. Almeida, submitted to Electronics Letters.Google Scholar
- 9.C.J. Brinker and G.W. Scherer,Sol-Gel Science: The Physics and Chemistry of Sol-Gel Processing (Academic Press, San Diego, 1990) p. 108.Google Scholar
- 11.X. Orignac, unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 12.R.M. Almeida and H.C. Vasconcelos, SPIE2288, 678–687 (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Born and E. Wolf.Principles of Optics (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1980), p. 87.Google Scholar
- 14.X. Orignac, H.C. Vasconcelos, and R.M. Almeida, unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 15.R.M. Almeida, International Journal of Optoelectronics9, 135–142 (1994).Google Scholar