A comparison between ion implantation and laser alloying of iron for oxidation resistance improvement
- 29 Downloads
Following previous results concerning boron alloying by ion implantation or laser surface melting, we study the role of aluminium to improve the high temperature oxidation of iron. Laser alloying has a greater efficiency than ion implantation. The aluminium containing phases formed at the metal-scale interface are responsible for the observed protection. The behaviour of the laser surface alloy is quite comparable to that of conventional alloys Fe-5Al. These two techniques, ion implantation and laser irradiation, seem to be of importance for future developments of corrosion protection.
KeywordsBoron Laser Irradiation Oxidation Resistance Surface Alloy Corrosion Protection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. Asworth, W. A. Grant andR. P. M. Procter, (eds) in “Ion Implantation into Metals” (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1982).Google Scholar
- 2.E. Mc Cafferty, C. R. Clayton andJ. Oudar, (eds) in “Fundamentals Aspects of Corrosion Protection by Surface Modifications” (The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, New Jersey, 1984).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Mukherjee andJ. Mazumder, (eds) in “Lasers in Metallurgy” (The Metallurgical Society of AIME, Warrendale, Pennyslvania, 1981).Google Scholar
- 4.M. F. Kimmit (ed.), in “Lasers in Manufacturing”, (North Holland and IFS, Amsterdam, 1983).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Pons, thèse d'Etat, Institut National Polytechnique of Grenoble, France, (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Hansen, in “Constitution of Binary Alloys”, (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1958) p. 90; 1st Supplement, R. P. Elliot (1965) p. 35; 2nd Supplement F. A. Shunk (1969) p. 24.Google Scholar
- 8.L. M. Atlas andW. K. Sumida,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 41 (1958) 150.Google Scholar
- 9.I. Barin andO. Knacke, “Thermochemical Properties of Inorganic Compounds”, (Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1973).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Tomazewick andG. R. Walwork,Rev. High Temp. Mater. 4 (1983) 165.Google Scholar
- 12.W. Boggs,J. Electrochem. Soc. 118 (1971) 906.Google Scholar
- 15.C. Chan, J. Mazumder andM. M. Chen,Metall. Trans. 15A (1984) 2175.Google Scholar