Fabrication of anode supported thick film ceria electrolytes for IT-SOFCs
- 92 Downloads
Anode supported thick film ceria electrolyte unit cells were fabricated using a colloidal dip coating method for IT-SOFCs. Pre-sintering temperature of the anode substrate and the final sintering temperature were found to be the primary parameters determining the density of the film. With Ni-Ce0.89Gd0.11 O2–δ cermet anode, La0.6Sr0.4Co0.2Fe0.8O3 cathode and 15 µm Ce0.89Gd0.11 O2–δ electrolyte, the cells were tested in a fuel cell configuration with air at the cathode and moist H2 at the anode. At 650 °C, the cell indicated a maximum power density of ∼0.27 W/cm2 at a current density of 0.62 A/cm2. Cell performance was compared with oxygen at the cathode and the cell indicated a maximum power density of ∼0.50 W/cm2 at 1.14 A/cm2, 650 °C. Activation energy for the area specific resistance (ASR) of the cell suggests that with air at cathode, the cell performance was limited by gaseous diffusion at cathode and with oxygen at cathode, by oxygen ion transport across the electrolyte.
KeywordsCeria Sinter Temperature Renewable Energy Source Cell Performance Electrical Power Generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. de Souza, S.J. Visco, L.C. De Jonghe, J. Electrochem. Soc.144, L35 (1997).Google Scholar
- L.W. Tai, M.M. Nasrallah, H.U. Anderson, M.A. Alim, J. Electrochem. Soc.142, 491 (1995).Google Scholar
- K.T. Miller, F.F. Lange, D.B. Marshall, Journal of Materials Research5, 151 (1990).Google Scholar
- P.H. Middleton, M.E. Stirsen, B.C.H. Steele, in: Proceedings of 1st Int. Symp. Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (S.C. Singhal, Ed.) The Electrochemical Society Proceeding Series, Pennington, NJ, 1989, p. 90.Google Scholar
- C. Xia, F. Chen, M. Liu, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters4, A52 (2001).Google Scholar
- Y. Jiang, A.V. Virkar, F. Zhao, J. Electrochem. Soc.148, A1091 (2001).Google Scholar
- E.D. Wachsman, P. Jayaweera, N. Jiang, D.M. Lowe, B.G. Pound, J. Electrochem. Soc.144, 233 (1997).Google Scholar