The effect of a histidine operator-constitutive mutation on UV-induced mutability within the histidine operon ofSalmonella typhimurium
- 53 Downloads
The presence of the histidine operator-constitutive mutationhis01242 increases UV-induced mutability within the histidine operon ofSalmonella typhimurium. The rate of reversion ofhisC andhisF ochre and frameshift mutants is increased 5- to 8-fold when these mutations are coupled withhis01242 which causes 15-fold derepression of the operon. The effect does not extend to the whole chromosome since the rate of UV-induced mutability at the unlinked streptomycin locus is the same in the strains carryinghis0 + orhis01242 alleles. The same phenomenon was observed in Hcr− strains.
KeywordsReversion Frequency Nutrient Agar Plate Lactose Operon Histidinol Elevated Transcription
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brenner, M., Ames, B. N.: The histidine operon and its regulation. In: Metabolic regulation: (H. J. Vogel, ed.), vol. 5 of metabolic pathways D. Greenberg, ed., p. 349. New York: Academic Press 1971.Google Scholar
- Cordaro, J. C., Balbinder, E.: An operator constitutive mutation in a mutant for the first structural gene of the tryptophane operon. Bact. Proc. GP15, 51 (1967).Google Scholar
- Fankhauser, D. B.: The promotor-operator region of thehis operon inSalmonella typhimurium. Ph. D. Thesis, The Johns Hopkins University. (1971).Google Scholar
- Hartman, P. E.: Linked loci in the control of consecutive steps in the primary pathway of histidine synthesis. Carnegie Inst. Wash. Publ. No612, 35 (1956).Google Scholar
- Herman, R. K.: Effect of gene induction on frequency of intragenic recombination of chromosome and F-merogenote inEscherischia coli K-12. Genetics58, 58 (1968).Google Scholar
- Herman, R. K., Dworkin, N. B.: Effect of gene induction on the rate of mutagenesis by ICR-191 inEscherschia coli. J. Bact.106, 545 (1971).Google Scholar
- Murray, M. L., Hartman, P. E.: Overproduction ofhisH andhisF gene products leads to cell division inhibition inSalmonella. Canad. J. Microbiol. in Press (1972).Google Scholar
- Savić, D. J.: A histidine operator-constitutive mutation decreases the frequency of recombination within the histidine operon ofSalmonella typhimurium. Genetics in Press (1972).Google Scholar
- Savić, D. J., Kanazir, D. T., Hartman, P. E.: Enhancement by transcription of mutation frequencies during recombination and after UV irradiation. Genetics, Suppl. 5,61, 53 (1969).Google Scholar