Three-dimensional investigation of thick single-lap bolted joints
- 278 Downloads
Stresses in single-lap bolted joints of thick plates are complex and difficult to analyze. Previous studies involving stresses through the thickness of bolted joints have been limited to finite element method (FEM) simulations and have been implemented only for the joining of relatively thin plates. In this paper we report on several experimental and numerical analyses that were conducted to evaluate the stress distribution inside thick bolted plates along the bearing plane normal to the plate surface. Experimental analysis was conducted via embedded-polariscope photoelasticity and embedded resistance strain gages. The FEM analysis was performed with the ABAQUS commercial code using material properties and other data obtained experimentally as input. Experimental and numerical results agreed reasonably well, and are believed to depict the behavior of the joint under load well enough to assist in development of improved joint design.
Key WordsMechanical fastening single-lap bolted joint FEA photoelasticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Camanho, P.P. andMatthews, F.L., “Stress Analysis and Strength Prediction of Mechanically Fastened Joints in FRP: A Review,”Composites,28A (6),529–547 (1997).Google Scholar
- 12.Iancu, F, Ding, X., Cloud, G.L., and Raju, B.B., “Three-dimensional Investigation of Thick Single-lap Bolted Joint,” Proceedings of 2004 SEM X International Congress and Exposition, Society for Experimental Mechanics, Costa Mesa, CA (2004).Google Scholar
- 13.Tranmposch, H. andGerard, G., “Exploratory Studies in Threedimensional Photo-thermoelasticity,”Journal of Applied Mechanics,28(1),35–40 (1961).Google Scholar
- 14.Cloud, G.L., Optical Methods of Engineering Analysis, Cambridge University Press, New York (1995).Google Scholar
- 15.ABAQUS/Standard User Manual ver. 6.2, Hibbitt, Karlsson and Sorensen (1998).Google Scholar
- 16.HyperMesh User Manual ver. 5.0, Altair Computing (2001).Google Scholar
- 17.Iancu, F., “Three-dimensional Finite Element Analysis of a Singlelap Bolted Joint of Thick Isotropic Materials,” M.S. Thesis, Michigan State University (2003).Google Scholar
- 18.Speck, J.A., Mechanical Fastening, Joining and Assembly, Marcel Dekker, New York (1997).Google Scholar
- 19.Parmley, R.O., Standard Handbook of Fastening and Joining, McGraw-Hill, New York (1977).Google Scholar