Successful excision of an atrial fibroma in a four-month-old male infant
- 23 Downloads
This report presents an infant who was initially admitted with a pericardial effusion. Subsequent evaluation led to the diagnosis of a primary cardiac tumor. Excision of the tumor which arose from the atrial septum was possible only by removing most of the free right atrial wall and a portion of the septal leaflet of the tricuspid valve. Reconstruction of the tricuspid valve leaflet by reattachment of chordae and a partial annuloplasty was done with the right atrial wall being replaced using pericardial tissue. The histology of the tumor was compatible with a fibroma, a type not previously reported in this location in the pediatric age group. Twenty-one months following operation, the child was restudied and the catheterization revealed mild to moderate tricuspid regurgitation and no recurrence of the tumor. The child is now 4 years of age and remains asymptomatic with normal growth and development and no evidence of fibromatosis.
Key wordsAtrial tumor Cardiac tumors Fibroma Pericardial effusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aryanput I, Nazarian I, Razmara M, Sheikh MA, Khonsari S: Calcified right ventricular fibroma causing outflow obstruction.Am J Dis Child 130:1265–1267, 1976Google Scholar
- 9.Fenoglio JJ Jr, McAllister HA Jr: Fibroma of the heart. A case of cardiac fibromatosis.Lab Invest 34:315, 1976Google Scholar
- 13.Kay JH, Irwin G, Tsuji HK, Dykstra P, Magidson O: Successful excision of an intramural fibroma of the right ventricle and ventricular septum: four-year follow-up.J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 9:434–439, 1968Google Scholar
- 14.Keith JD, Fowler RS: Cardiac tumors. InHeart Disease in Infancy and Childhood, 3rd ed. (Keith JD, Rowe RD, Vlad P, eds.) New York, MacMillan Publishing Co, Inc, 1978, p 1040–1045Google Scholar
- 17.McAllister HA Jr, Fenoglio JJ Jr: Fibromas.Armed Forces Institute of Pathology 15:32, 1978Google Scholar
- 19.Nicks R: Hamartoma of the right ventricle.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 47:762–768, 1970Google Scholar
- 24.Steinberg J, Miscall L, Redo SF, Goldberg HP: Angiocardiography in the diagnosis of cardiac tumors.AJR 91:364–378, 1964Google Scholar