Effect of ozone and sulphur dioxide pollutants separately and in mixture on chlorophyll and carotenoid pigments ofOryza sativa
- 115 Downloads
Exposure of rice plants to low concentrations of O3 and SO2 singly and in combination showed foliar injury of different levels. The maximum leaf injury was noted in case of O3+SO2 treated plants and the minimum in O3 treated ones. Also the reductions in chlorophylla,b and total chlorophyll and carotenoid contents in leaves exposed to O3+SO2 mixtures were higher than the reduction noted in case of each individual pollutant. Thus the results suggest a synergism existing between O3 and SO2 regarding plant injury, especially with respect to chlorophyll and carotenoid contents of rice (Oryza sativa).
KeywordsWaste Water Chlorophyll Ozone Water Pollution Carotenoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bauer, I. and Grill, D.: 1977,Angew. Bot. 51, 241.Google Scholar
- Beckerson, D. W. and Hofstra, G.: 1979,Can. J. Bot. 57, 1940.Google Scholar
- Byers, D. H. and Saltzman, B. E.: 1958,J. Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. 19, 251.Google Scholar
- Coulson, C. and Heath, R. L.: 1974,Plant Physiol. 53, 32.Google Scholar
- Czuchajowska, Z. and Przybylski, T.: 1978,Bull. Acad. Polon Sci.: Ser. Sci. Biol. 26, 369.Google Scholar
- Duxbury, A. C. and Yentsch, C. S.: 1956,J. Marine Res. 15, 19.Google Scholar
- Koziol, L. L. and Jordon, C. F.: 1978,J. Expt. Bot. 29, 1037.Google Scholar
- Menser, H. A. and Heggestad, H. E.: 1966,Science.153, 424.Google Scholar
- Miller, P. R., Parmeter, J. R., Flick, Jr. B. H., and Martinez, C. W.: 1969,J. Air Poll. Cont. Assoc. 19, 435.Google Scholar
- Nieboer, E., Richardson, D. H. S., Puckett, K. J., and Tomassini, F. D.: 1976, ‘The Phytotoxicity of Sulphur Dioxide to Measurable Responses in Lichens, in Mansfield, T. A. (ed.),Effects of air pollutants on plants, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England, p. 61.Google Scholar
- Tingey, D. T., Heck, W. W., and Reinert, R. A.: 1971,J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 96, 369.Google Scholar