A constrained least square approach to the estimation of the term structure of interest rates
This paper proposes a new practical method for estimating forward rate curves using bond prices available in the market. It is intended to improve the least square estimation method proposed by Carleton and Cooper by imposing additional constraints to guarantee the smoothness of the forward rate curves. The resulting problem is a nonconvex minimization problem, for which we will propose an efficient algorithm for calculating an approximate optimal solution. Computational experiments show that this method can efficiently generate smooth forward rate curves without increasing the residual errors in terms of least square fitting. Also, we will compare this result with an alternative and more efficient constrained least absolute deviation method.
KeywordsCarleton-Cooper's method least square estimation nonlinear programming forward rate curves bond prices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carleton, W.T. and Cooper, I.A. (1976) ‘Estimation and Uses of Term Structure of the Interest Rates,’Journal of Finance,31, 1067–1083.Google Scholar
- Chvátal, V. (1983)Linear Programming, Freeman and Co.Google Scholar
- Elton, E.J. and Gruber, M.J. (1991)Modern Portfolio Theory and Investment Analysis (4th ed.), John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Gill, P.E., Murray, W. and Wright, M.H. (1981)Practical Optimization, Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Konno, H. and Inori, M. (1989) ‘Bond Portfolio Optimization by Bilinear Fractional Programming,’Journal of the Operations Research Society of Japan,32, 143–158.Google Scholar
- Luenberger, D.G. (1984) Introduction to Linear and Nonlinear Programming (2nd ed.), Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- McCulloch, J.H. (1971) ‘Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,’Journal of Business, 19–31.Google Scholar
- McCulloch, J.H. (1975) ‘The Tax-Adjusted Yield Curve’,Journal of Finance,30, 811–830.Google Scholar
- Sato, M. (1990) ‘A Research Note on Estimation of the Term Structure of Interest Rates’ (in Japanese),MTEC Journal,3, 85–116.Google Scholar
- Takamori, Y. and Shimizu, Y. (1994) ‘On the Efficiency of the Government Bond Market and the Estimation of the Term Structure of the Interest Rates’ (in Japanese),Proceedings of the JAFEE Summer Meeting, 142–154.Google Scholar