Atmospheric transmission at Davos, Switzerland 1909–1979
- 160 Downloads
Pyrheliometric measurements at Davos, Switzerland from 1909 to 1979 are used to reconstruct the time history of atmospheric transmission. Measurements were numerous enough to allow yearly and seasonal values of atmospheric transmission to be determined. Other than the eruptions of Katmai in 1912 and Agung in 1963, there are no significant long-term changes in atmospheric transmission observed at this central European site. The implications of this result upon those theories of climatic change which depend upon changes in atmospheric transmission are briefly considered.
KeywordsClimatic Change Time History Atmospheric Transmission European Site Pyrheliometric Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angström, A.: 1930, ‘On the Atmospheric Transmission of Solar Radiation’,Il. Geograph. Ann. 12, 130–159.Google Scholar
- Bryson, R. A. and Goodman, B. M.: 1980, ‘Volcanic Activity and Climatic Changes’,Science 207, 1041–1044.Google Scholar
- Dogniaux, R. and Sneyers, R.: 1972,Sur la stabilité du trouble atmosphérique à Uccle au cours de la periode 1951–1970, Inst. Royal Meteorologique de Belgique. Pub. Sv. A. No. 75.Google Scholar
- Ellis, H. T. and Pueschel, R. F.: 1971, ‘Solar Radiation: Absence of Air Pollution Trends at Mauna Loa’,Science 172, 845–846.Google Scholar
- Ellsaesser, H. W.: 1975, ‘The Upward Trend in Airborne Particulates that Isn't’, in S. F. Singer (ed.),The Changing Global Environment, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, pp. 235–269.Google Scholar
- Hansen, J., Johnson, D., Lacis, A., Lebedeff, S., Lee, P., Rind, D., and Rüssel, G.: 1981, ‘Climatic Impact of Increasing Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide’,Science 213, 957–966.Google Scholar
- McCormick, R. A. and Ludwig, J. H.: 1967, ‘Climate Modification by Atmospheric Aerosols’,Science 156, 1358–1359.Google Scholar
- McWilliams, S.: 1973,Atmospheric Turbidity at Valentia Observatory, Tech. Note No. 36, Meteorological Service, Dublin, 16 pp.Google Scholar
- Peterson, J. T. and Bryson, R. A.: 1968, ‘Atmospheric Aerosols: Increased Concentrations During the Last Decade’,Science 162, 120–121.Google Scholar
- Pivovarova, Z. I.: 1968, ‘The Long-Term Variation of Intensity of Solar Radiation According to Observations of Actinometric Stations’,Tr. Gl. Geofiz. Observ. 233, 17–37.Google Scholar
- Willson, R. C. and Butler, C. P.: 1978, ‘Total Solar Irradiance at Table Mtn., California, 1926–1977’,Solar Energy, 351–352.Google Scholar