Neutron scattering from quantum crystals
- 11 Downloads
The cross-section for neutron scattering from an arbitrarily anharmonic crystal is split up in the usual way into the Debye-Waller factor, the multiphonon background and the one-phonon peakS(1). The latter is shown to be built up by the expectation valueD of the displacement operator under the influence of a special mechanical force. The method of functional derivation applied to non-equilibrium Green's functions is used to find non-linear equations of motion forD. The renormalized force constants involved are also defined for singular interparticle potentials. The interference terms inS(1), which are expected to be important for a quantum crystal with large particle fluctuations, are related to the difference betweenD and its linear response value. Finally, the known sum-rules are derived in this formalism and prescriptions to determine the Debye-Waller factor fromD are given.
KeywordsNeural Network Complex System Nonlinear Dynamics Large Particle Force Constant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Osgood, E. B., Minkiewicz, V. J., Kitchens, T. A., Shirane, G.: Preprint.Google Scholar
- 5.Glyde, H. R.: Canad. J. Phys.49, 701 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.— Khanna, F. C.: Canad. J. Phys. to be published.Google Scholar
- 10.Ambegaokar, V., Convay, J. M., Baym, G. in Lattice Dynamics ed. by R. F. Wallis (Pergamon Press, London, 1965) p. 261.Google Scholar
- 21.Beck, H., Meier, P. F.: Phys. kondens. Materie12, 16 (1970).Google Scholar
- 22.——: Phys. kondens. Materie12, 330 (1971).Google Scholar