TheRT1.G locus in the rat encodes a Qa/TL-like antigen
- 13 Downloads
A new antigenic system in the rat homologous to theQa/TL antigen system in the mouse has been characterized. It was detected by antibodies raised in donor-recipient combinations that were matched for theRT1. A, B, D, E loci in the major histocompatibility complex (MHC): (R11×BN)F1 anti-BN.1L(LEW), (R18×BN)F1 anti-BN.1L, and BN.1LV1(F344) anti-BN.1L. Absorption analyses using these antisera and a variety of inbred, congenic and recombinant strains identified three alleles,RT1.G a ,G b ,G c , of whichG c is a null allele. The strain distribution of these alleles was determined, using 37 strains of rats representative of all of the prototypic haplotypes and a number of congenic and recombinant strains. The use of the congenic and recombinant strains showed that theRT1.G locus was linked to the MHC and that the most probable gene order wasA-E-G. Testcross analysis showed that the map distance betweenA andG was 1.4 cM(4/285 recombinants). The RT1.G antigen has a heavy chain ofM r 46 000 and is present on both T and B cells.
KeywordsMajor Histocompatibility Complex Heavy Chain Null Allele Strain Distribution Gene Order
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cortese Hassett, A. L., Stranick, K. S., Locker, J., Kunz, H. W., and Gill, T. J., III: Molecular analysis of the rat MHC. I. Delineation of the major regions in the MHC and thegrc.J Immunol 137: 373–378, 1986Google Scholar
- Cortese Hassett, A. L., Locker, J., Rupp, G., Kunz, H. W., and Gill, T. J. III: Molecular analysis of the rat MHC. II. Isolation of genes that map to theRT1.E-grc region.J Immunol 142: 2089–2096, 1989Google Scholar
- Flaherty, L.: Genes of theTla region: the new Qa system of antigens.In H. Morse (ed.):Origins of Inbred Mice, pp. 409–422, Academic Press New York, 1978Google Scholar
- Flaherty, L.:Tla-region, antigens.In M. Dorf (ed.):The Role of the Major Histocompatibility Complex in Immunobiology, pp. 33–57, Garland STPM Press, New York, 1981Google Scholar
- Inomata, T., Kunz, H. W., and Gill, T. J., III: The ratTla-region alloantigen (RT1.G).Transplant Proc 19: 2993–2994, 1987Google Scholar
- Wonigeit, K., Schwinzer, R., Inomata, T., Kunz, H. W., and Gill, T. J., III: Reactivity of a monoclonal antibody directed against RT1.Eu with recombinants defining the RT1. Cu region.Transplant Proc 19: 3006–3007, 1987Google Scholar