Testing of an activation cross sections library according to integral data
Comparing the experimental data on the activation of different materials in neutron fluxes, whose spectra are similar to the spectrum of a thermonuclear reactor, to the computational results obtained using the activation cross sections from the ADL-3 library shows the following:
On the whole, the activity data agree well, irrespective of the value and half-lives of the radioactive nuclei;
approximately 10 cases (of the 150 studied) of significant discrepancies, whose analysis requires additional information, for example, knowledge of the uncertainty of the neutron spectrum, especially for the low-energy part of the spectrum, were found; and,
the reasons for the discrepancy in the activity of99mTc accumulated during irradiation of a molybdenum sample could not be determined.
KeywordsExperimental Data Molybdenum Significant Discrepancy Computational Result Activity Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Kumar, Y. Ikeda, A. Abdou et al., "Induced radioactivity measurements in fusion neutron environment," Rep. USDOE/JAERI Collaborative Program on Fusion Neutronics, JAERI-M-93-018, February (1993).Google Scholar
- 2.E. Cheng, K. Feng, R. Forrest et al., "International fusion activation calculation comparison study," Rep. TSIR-12, January (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Forrest, D. Endacott, and A. Khursheedf, FISPACT — Program Manual, Rep. AERE-M 3655, April (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Forrest, "The activation cross section library UKACTI and the inventory code FISPACT," in: Proc. IAEA Specialists Meeting on the International Data Library for Fusion Reactor Technology, Vienna (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.O. T. Grudzevich, A. V. Zelenetskii, A. V. Ignatyuk, and A. B. Pashchenko, "Library of neutron-physics data for the calculation of activity and transmutation," At. Énerg.,76, No. 2, 124–130 (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.V. M. Bychkov, V. N. Manokhin, A. B. Pashchenko et al., Cross Sections for Neutron-Induced Threshold Reactions [in Russian], Énergoatomizdat, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Jun, M. Abdou, and A. Kumar, "Impact of ad hoc improvement of decay and cross-section data on the prediction of fusion-neutron-induced radioactivity in zirconium and tungsten," Phys. Techn.,25, 51–83 (1994).Google Scholar