Staging in tubular oxygenators — Experimental results
- 21 Downloads
The oxygenation rate of blood flowing through permeable tubes can be increased by mixing or turbulence of the blood. Staging of the tubes has been suggested as one means of enhancing the oxygenation rate. A series of experiments has been performed to investigate the feasibility of staging and the results show a definite advantage in oxygen transfer compared with regular straight tubes.
KeywordsOxygen Oxygen Transfer Straight Tube Definite Advantage Oxygenation Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- de Dilippi, R. P., Tompkins, F. C., Porter, J. H., Timmins, R. S., and Buckley, M. J. The capillary membrane blood oxygenator: in vitro and in vivo gas exchange measurements,Trans. Amer. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs 14, 236–241.Google Scholar
- Dorson, W., Jr., Baker, E., Hull, H. A shell and tube oxygenator,Trans. Amer. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs 14, 242–249.Google Scholar
- Dorson, W., Jr., Meyer, B., Baker, E., Cohen, M., Elgas, R., Molthan, M., Trump, D. Response of distressed infants to partial bypass lung assist,Trans. Amer. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs 16, 345–351.Google Scholar
- Hill, J. D., Fattat, R., Cohn, K., Eberhart, R., Dontigny, L., Bramson, M. L., Osborn, J. J., Gerbode, F. Clinical cardiopulmonary dynamics during prolonged extra-corporeal circulation for acute respiratory insufficiency.Trans. Amer. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs 17, 355–359.Google Scholar
- Timmons, F. H., Lindsey, E. S., Woolverton, W. C. Long term veno-venous perfusion with a membrane oxygenator for respiratory failure.Trans. Amer. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs 16, 339–343.Google Scholar
- Weissman, M. H. and Mockros, L. F. Oxygen transfer in blood flowing in round tubes,Proc. Amer. Soc. Civil Eng. 93, 225–244.Google Scholar
- Weissman, M. H., and Mockros, L. F. Oxygen and carbon dioxide transfer in membrane oxygenators,Med. Biol. Eng. 7, 169–184.Google Scholar
- White, J. J., Andrews, H. G., Risenberg, H., Mazur, D., and Haller, J. A., Jr. Prolonged respiratory support in newborn infants with a membrane oxygenator,Surgery 70, No. 2, 288–296.Google Scholar
- Wildevuur, C. R. H., Kuipers, J. R. G., Spaan, J. A. E., Sugawara, H., and Onodera, I. The use of a membrane oxygenator for treatment of respiratory insufficiency,Trans. Amer. Soc. Artif. Intern. Organs 17, 362–368.Google Scholar
- Zotti, E. F., Ikeda, S., Lesage, A. M., Sealy, W. C., Young, W. G., Jr.. Prolonged veno-venous perfusion with a membrane oxygenator for respiratory failure.J. Thorac. Cardiov. Surg. 51, 383–390.Google Scholar