The test-retest variability of the modified barium swallow study using videofluoroscopy was analyzed. Sixteen normal subjects (8 men, 8 women) were organized into 2 age groups: middle-aged group (mean, 45 years) and old-aged group (mean, 66 years). Nine durational measures of the swallow were evaluated. There were no statistically significant differences for any of the measures between the initial test and a retest conducted days later. The findings suggest that, on the whole, normal subjects perform similarly on test and a retest. However, the variability displayed by these normal subjects may be clinically significant, indicating that test-retest swallowing duration measures require careful interpretation.
Key wordsSwallowing, duration measures Swallowing, normal variability Videofluoroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lazarra G, Lazarus C, Logemann J: Impact of thermal stimulation on the triggering of the swallowing reflex.Dysphagia 1: 3–77, 1986Google Scholar
- 4.Robbins J, Kirshner H, Webb W: Velopharyngeal activity during speech and swallowing in neurologic disease. Paper presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association annual meeting, Toronto, 1982Google Scholar
- 5.Aki BF, Blakely W: Late assessment or results of cricopharyngeal myotomy for cervical dysphagia.Am J Surg 128:816–822, 1974Google Scholar
- 6.Blakely WR, Garety E, Smith D: Section of the cricopharyngeus muscle for dysphagia.Arch Surg 96:745–762, 1968Google Scholar
- 7.Logemann J:Evaluation and Treatment of Swallowing Disorders. San Diego: College Hill Press, 1983Google Scholar
- 8.Linden P, Siebens A: Dysphagia: predicting laryngeal penetration.Arch Phys Med Rehab 64:281–283, 1983Google Scholar
- 9.Soun R, Somers S, Austin W, Bester S: The influence of videofluoroscopy on the management of dysphagic patients.Dysphagia 2:127–135, 1988Google Scholar
- 10.Robbins J: Dysphagia and disorders of speech. In: McReynolds L, Northern J, Yoder D (eds):Handbook of Speech and Language Pathology and Audiology. Ontario: BC Decker, 1987, pp 1040–1057Google Scholar
- 12.Christup J: Normal swallowing of food stuff of pasty consistency; a cinefluorographic investigation of a normal material.Dan Med Bull 115:79–91, 1964Google Scholar
- 13.Curtis DF, Cruess DF, Cachman AH, Maso E: Timing in the normal pharyngeal swallow.J Invest Radiol 19:523–529, 1984Google Scholar
- 14.Robbins J, Hamilton J, Lof GL: Oropharyngeal swallowing in aging normal adults.Gastroenterology, submittedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ekberg O: The normal movement of the hyoid bone during swallowing.J Invest Radiol 21:408–410, 1986Google Scholar
- 18.Wilkinson L:SYSTAT, the System for Statistics, Evanston, IL: SYSTAT, Inc, 1988Google Scholar