A spacio-temporal pattern of pollen sedimentation in a dimictic lake with laminated sediments
Resuspension in the main basin of Lake Gościąz results approximately a doubling of the total sedimentation rate in the deepest region. The increase pollen flux in bottom traps during overturn was more four times higher than in the upper traps. The most intensive pollen sedimentation was recorded before and just after freeze-up. This could only have been the result of previous sediment resuspension. Mechanisms of sedimentation in the studied lake showed that resuspension and resedimentation can change “the environmental record” of events even in a lake with laminated sediments. Higher sedimentation of pollen during autumn circulation confumed that in the sediment layers (varves or laminae) particles from previous seasons also could have been found. In the bay pollen sedimentation was lower and depended on plant flowering, there was no resuspension.
key wordspollen flux resuspension resedimentation laminated sediments
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berglund, B.E. and Ralska - Jasiewiczowa, M.: 1986,Pollen analysis and pollen diagrams. In Berglund, B.E. (ed.)Handbook of holocene palaeoecology and palaeohydrology, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 455–484.Google Scholar
- Bloesch, J.: 1995,Mar. Freshwater Res. 46, 295–304.Google Scholar
- Nuhfer, E.B. Anderson, J.P. and Dean, W.E.: 1993,Geol. Soc. of America Spec. Paper 276, 75–96 pp.Google Scholar
- Davis, M.B.: 1968,Science 162, 796–799.Google Scholar
- Davis, M.B.: 1973,Limnol. Oceanogr. 18, 44 - 52.Google Scholar
- Davis, M.B. Moeller, R.E. and Ford, J.: 1984.Sediment focusing and pollen influx, In Haworth, E.Y. and Lund, J.W.G. (ed.)Lake sediments and Environmental History, Leicester University Press, 261–293.Google Scholar
- Krumbein, W.E. Paterson, D.M. and Stal, L.J.: 1994.Biostabilizotion of sediments. Verlag Rösemeier Bad Zwischenahn, p. 529.Google Scholar
- Likens, G.E. and Davis, M.B.: 1975,Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 19, 982–993.Google Scholar
- Mieszczankin T. in preparation. Processes of sedimentation in Lake Gościąz — On genesis of the modern lake sediments and role in the functioning of the lake ecosystem, PhD thesis, Dept. of Hydrobiology, N. Copernicus University Toruñ, Poland.Google Scholar
- Ralska - Jasiewiczowa, M. van Geel, B. Goslar, T. and Kuc, T.: 1992,Sveriges Geologiska Underskning, Ser. Ca 81, 257–268.Google Scholar
- Rosa, F. Bloesch, J. and Rathke, D.E.: 1991,Sampling the settling and suspended particulate matter (SPM), In Mudroch, A and MacKnight, S.D. (ed.)Handbook of techniques for aquatic sediment sampling, CRC Press: Boca Raton, 97–130.Google Scholar