Fabrication and microstructure-mechanical property relationships in Ce-TZPs
Ceria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia polycrystals(Ce-TZPs) have been fabricated via conventional sintering of commercially available electrofused and electrorefined CeO2-doped ZrO2 powder at 1550°C for various periods from 0.5–30 h. The resultant grain sizes of the sintered materials were in the range 2–15 μm. The sintering of such electrorefined powder appears to occur by a liquid state sintering process, evinced in terms of the grain-size dependence on sintering time at 1550°C and by direct TEM observation. The mechanical properties of the sintered materials have been characterized, including single-edge notch bend fracture toughness and three-point bend fracture strength. The grain-size dependence of these properties in the CeO2-stabilized tetragonal polycrystals is very much different from that in Y2O3 stabilized tetragonal zirconia polycrystals (Y-TZPs). The transformation plasticity, which is represented by the yield stress behaviour and the total strain to fracture, plays an important role in the microstructure-property interrelationship in the Ce-TZPs.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Y2O3 Fracture Strength State Sinter Sintered Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.R. McMeeking andA. G. Evans,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 65 (1982) 242.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Wang, M. Rainforth andR. Stevens,Brit. Ceram. Trans. J. 88 (1988) 1.Google Scholar
- 9.K. Tsukuma,Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 65 (1986) 1386.Google Scholar
- 15.R. Stevens, “An Introduction to Zirconia”, 2nd Edn (MEL, Twickenham, 1986).Google Scholar
- 17.Idem., in “Treatise on Materials Science and Technology”, Vol. 2, edited by F. F. Y. Wang (Academic Press, New York, 1976) p. 331.Google Scholar
- 18.W. D. Kingery, H. K. Bowen andD. R. Uhlmann, “Introduction to Ceramics” (Wiley, New York, 1976).Google Scholar
- 19.R. C. Garvie,J. Phys. Chem. 69 (1965) 1238.Google Scholar
- 23.I. W. Chen andY. H. Chiao,ibid. 31 (1983) 10.Google Scholar