Fracture mechanism of toughened epoxy resin with bimodal rubber-particle size distribution
A bimodal rubber-particle distributed epoxy resin was made by simultaneous addition of two kinds of liquid rubbers, CTBN1300X9 and CTBN1300X13. These rubbers were added at a constant total rubber content but with varying weight ratios. The microstructure and fracture behaviour of these rubber-modified epoxy resins have been studied. A strong increase in the fracture resistance was found for the bimodal rubber-particle distributed epoxy resin. The role of the small particle is thought to toughen the shear bands between large particles. The role of large particle is thought to induce a large-scale shear deformation in the crack front. The synergistic effect of these particles gives rise to a strong increase in the toughness of these bimodal rubber-particle distributed epoxy systems.
KeywordsEpoxy Rubber Large Particle Shear Band Shear Deformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. H. Rowe, A. R. Siebert andR. S. Drake,Mod. Plastics 47 (1970) 110.Google Scholar
- 2.C. K. Riew, E. H. Rowe andA. R. Siebert,ACS Adv. Chem. Ser. 154 (1976) 326.Google Scholar
- 3.J. N. Sultan, R. C. Laible andF. J. McGarry,J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 6 (1971) 127.Google Scholar
- 7.C. B. Bucknall andY. Yoshii,Brit. Polym. J. 10 (1978) 53.Google Scholar
- 8.C. B. Bucknall, “Toughened Plastics” (Applied Science, London, 1977).Google Scholar
- 11.A. J. Kinlogh, in “Structural Adhesives: Developments in Resins and Primer” (Eisevier Applied Science, London, 1986) p. 127.Google Scholar
- 14.A. J. Kinloch, C. A. Finch andS. Hashemi,Polym. Commun. 28 (1987) 322.Google Scholar
- 17.G. Levita, A. Marchetti, A. Lazzeri andV. Frosini,Polym. Engng Sci. 8 (1987) 141.Google Scholar
- 19.E. E. Underwood, “Quantitative Sterology” (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1970) p. 109.Google Scholar
- 20.A. G. Guy, “Introduction to Material Science” (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1971).Google Scholar
- 21.S. Mostovoy, P. B. Crosley andE. J. Ripling,J. Mater. 2 (1967) 661.Google Scholar
- 23.T. K. Chen andY. H. Jan,J. Mater. Sci. to be published.Google Scholar