A SEM (scanning electron microscopy)-based method to evaluate impurity segregation to prior austenite grain boundaries in high strength steels
- 77 Downloads
The depth of grain boundary grooves on the etched surface of high strength Cr-Ni steels has been determined as a measure of P-segregation to prior austenite grain boundaries by a SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy)-based grain boundary etching method (GEM). The mean depth and distribution of the depth can be decided by stereoscopy on the SEM micrographs of the replica of the etched surface. The results showed that the cast steel has less, but nonuniform P-segregation and the high temperature austenitization reduced the P-segregation on prior austenite grain boundaries in both steels.
KeywordsPolymer Microscopy Electron Microscopy Scan Electron Microscopy Austenite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. L. Briant andS. K. Banerji,Int. Met. Rev. 23 (1978) 164.Google Scholar
- 2.M. L. Jokl, J. Kameda, C. J. McMahon, Jr andV. Vitek,Met. Sci. 14 (1980) 375.Google Scholar
- 3.C. L. Briant andS. K. Banerji, in “Treatise on Materials Science and Technology”, Vol. 25, edited by C. L. Briant and S. K. Banerji (Academic, New York, 1983) p. 21.Google Scholar
- 6.A. H. Ucisik, C. J. McMahon, Jr andH. C. Feng,Met. Trans. 9A (1977) 321.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Ogura, A. Makino andT. Masumoto,Met. Trans. 15A (1984) 1563.Google Scholar
- 10.W. D. Cao andX. P. Lu,Met. Trans. 18A (1987) 1569.Google Scholar
- 11.Idem, Mater. Sci. Eng. to be published.Google Scholar
- 12.Idem, ibid to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Broeck,Int. Met. Rev. 19 (1974) 140.Google Scholar
- 14.A. Boyde,Scanning 2 (1979) 67.Google Scholar
- 15.P. L. Gruzin andV. V. Minal,The Physics of Metals and Metallography (Translated from Russian),16 (1963) 50.Google Scholar