Mössbauer studies of interstitial rare earth-iron intermetallics
- 18 Downloads
Two series of interstitial rare earth-iron intermetallics, R2Fe17N3-σ and R2Fe17C3-σ have been prepared by gas phase reaction from the R2Fe17 parent compounds (R=Ce, Pr, Nd, ... Lu and Y). The interstitials raise the Curie temperature of the compounds by 390 K in the case of N and 330 K in the case of C. Mössbauer spectra at 15 K and 293 K, and data as a function of temperature for R=Er and Tm are analysed to yield hyperfine interactions at the four sites, and information on the local magnetization and its orientation. The change in hyperfine field is not proportional to the change in magnetization produced by the interstitials, being much greater in the nitrides than the carbides. Likewise for the isomer shifts. These effects are discussed in terms of the differences in electronic structure of the nitrides and carbides.
KeywordsThin Film Carbide Nitrides Curie Temperature Parent Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /2/.J. M. D. Coey, Hong Sun, Y. Otani and D. P. F. Hurley, J. Magn. Magn. Mater.98 (1991) in press.Google Scholar
- /4/.J. M. D. Coey, Y. Otani, Hong Sun and D. P. F. Hurley, J. Mag. Soc. Japan15 (4) (1991) in press.Google Scholar
- /5/.J. M. D. Coey, Physica Scripta (1991) in press.Google Scholar
- /9/.S. Miraglia, J. L. Soubeyroux, C. Kolbeck, O. Isnard, D. Fruchart and M. Guillot, preprint.Google Scholar
- /10/.Ying-chang Yang, Xiao-dong Zhang, Lin-shu Kong, Qi Pan, Ji-lian Yang, Yong-fan Ding, Bai-sheng Zhang, Chun-tang Ye and Lan Jin, The 5th Joint MMM-Intermag, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 1991.Google Scholar
- /13/.W. Steiner and R. Haferl, Phys. Status Solidi a42 (1977) 739.Google Scholar
- /15/.D. L. Williamson, in “Mössbauer Isomer Shifts”, G. K. Shenoy and F. E. Wagner (eds), North Holland (1978).Google Scholar
- /16/.A. Freeman in “Mössbauer Isomer Shifts”, G. K. Shenoy and F. E. Wagner (eds), North Holland (1978).Google Scholar