Entrainment, deposition, and transport of fine-grained sediments in lakes
- 97 Downloads
Recent work on the settling, diffusion, entrainment, and deposition of fine-grained sediments in fresh water is reviewed and synthesized. Particular attention is given to the dependence of these processes on sediment properties such as particle size. The application of this knowledge to the analysis and numerical modeling of sediment transport is also discussed. Much of the work is concerned with the Great Lakes and, more specifically, with the Western Basin of Lake Erie.
Keywordssediment entrainment deposition transport
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fukuda, M. K. & Lick, W., 1980. The entrainment of cohesive sediments in fresh water. J. geophys. Res. 85: 2813–2824.Google Scholar
- Kang, S. W. & Lick, W., 1982. Net entrainment and deposition of fine-grained sediments in fresh water. In preparation.Google Scholar
- Krone, R. B., 1976. Engineering interest in the benthic boundary layer. In: McCave, I. N. (Ed.) The Benthic Boundary Layer, pp. 143–156. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Landau, L. D. & Lifshitz, E. M., 1959. Fluid Mechanics. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass. 536 pp.Google Scholar
- Lee, D. Y., Lick, W. & Kang, S. W., 1981. The entrainment and deposition of fine-grained sediments in Lake Erie. J. Great Lakes Res. 7: 264–275.Google Scholar
- Lin, C. S., Moulton, R. W. & Putnam, G. K., 1953. Mass transfer between solid wall and fluid streams. Ind. Engng Chem. 45: 636–640.Google Scholar
- Metha, A. J., 1973. Depositional behavior of cohesive sediments. Ph.D. thesis, University of Florida. 156 pp.Google Scholar
- Partheniades, E. & Kennedy, J. F., 1967. Depositional behavior of the fine grained sediments in a turbulent fluid motion. Proc. 10th Conf. on Coastal Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, Vol. 2, pp. 707–729.Google Scholar
- Partheniades, E., 1972. Results of recent investigations on erosion and deposition of cohesive sediments. In: Shen, H. W. (Ed.) Sedimentation, pp. 20–1 to 20–39. Fort Collins, Co.Google Scholar
- Paul, J. W., Kasprzyk, R. & Lick, W., 1982. Turbidity in the western basin of Lake Erie, J. geophys. Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- Sheng, Y. P. & Lick, W., 1979. The transport and resuspension of sediments in a shallow lake. J. geophys. Res. 84: 1809–1826.Google Scholar