Mobile web-services often use location information for service customisation. Most such services operate on the user's physical/ geographical location. Unfortunately, such common forms of location carry little context information. In the Cool Town project at HP Labs, we have addressed this deficiency by defined an orthogonal form of location-Semantic location. Use of this form of location can also help lower the risk of invasion of privacy.
KeywordsLocation awareness Pervasive computing Privacy Semantic location Semantic web Ubiquitous computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Caswell D. Creating a web representation for places. http://www.cooltown.hp.com/papers/PlaceManagerv4.htmGoogle Scholar
- 2.WWW names and addresses: URIs, URLs, ...http:// www.w3.org/Addressing/Google Scholar
- 3.Resource Description Framework. http://www.w3.org/ RDF/Google Scholar
- 4.Berners-Lee T. Semantic web. http://www.w3.org/ Designlssues/Semantic.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 5.Jose R, Davies N. Scalable and flexible location-based service for ubiquitous information access, handheld and ubiquitous computing. In: Proceedings from the First International Symposium HUC'99, Karlsruhe, Germany, September 1999Google Scholar
- 6.CoolTown home page. http://www.cooltown.hp.comGoogle Scholar
- 7.Bluetooth home page. http://www.bluetooth.comGoogle Scholar
- 8.Venky Krishnan et al. Location awareness in HP's CoolTown. http://www.cooltown.hp.com/papers/Location Awareness.htmGoogle Scholar