Pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy for cancer treatment: Surgical procedure, indications, and analysis of outcomes
Factors determining the prognosis of cancer of the pancreatic head were analyzed in 100 patients who had undergone surgical treatment. So as to clarify the indications for pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy (PPPD), the prognosis was compared in two sets of such patients, 25 who had undergone PPPD and 25 who had undergone the Whipple procedure. Of these 50 patients, 20 (40%) also underwent portal vein resection and 29 (58%) were found to have lymph node metastasis. Curative resection was achieved in 33 of these 50 patients (66%) and the 5-year survival rate after the curative resection (42.0%) was significantly higher in these patients that in those given a non-curative resection (P <0.01). Further, the prognosis was better for patients who did not require a portal vein excision than for those who did (P<0.01), and for patients who showed no lymph node metastasis than for those with metastasis (P<0.01). The 5-year survival rate did not differ significantly between the PPPD group and the Whipple procedure group. These results indicate that PPPD can also be a useful procedure for treating malignant diseases.
Key wordspylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy pancreatic cancer Whipple procedure pancreatectomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Traverso, LW, Longmire WP (1978) Preservation of the pylorus in pancreatoduodenectomy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 146:956–962Google Scholar
- 5.Japan Pancreas Society (1986) General rules for surgery and the pathological study of cancers of the pancreas, 3rd edn (in Japanese with English abstract). Kanehara, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 8.Nagasako T, Hanyu F, Imaizumi T, et al (1990) Criteria for pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy in patients with a periampullary carcinoma — histopathological study of 245 surgically resected cases (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Gastroenterol Surg 23:2532–2537Google Scholar
- 9.Yamamoto M, Saito Y, Oohashi S, Ishida H (1993) General rules for cancer of pancreas from standpoint of the report of the Pancreatic Cancer Registry (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Bil Panc) 14:935–941Google Scholar
- 10.Grace PA, Pitt HA, Longmire WP (1986) Pancreatoduodenectomy with pylorus preservation for adenocarcinoma of the head of the pancreas. Surg Gynecol Obstet 160:1–4Google Scholar