Differences in hair density of Japanese monkeys (Macaca fuscata fuscata) with locality and age
- 87 Downloads
The hair density of free-ranging Japanese monkeys (Macaca fuscata fuscata) living in three different areas was investigated. The Japanese monkeys had thicker hair than other macaques. The hair density in the Japanese monkeys varied with locality: the northern monkeys had thicker hair than the southern ones. The density did not vary markedly with age up to 3 years of age, but then decreased gradually up to adult age (≧7 years old). The remarkable growth of the trunk suggested that the total number of hairs increased with age, especially during the period as a juvenile.
Key WordsJapanese monkey Hair density Age change Locality Macaque
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Inagaki, H., 1982. Annual change in hair length of the Japanese monkeys.J. Jap. Ass. Zool. Gardens & Aquariums, 24(4): 108–109. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Kirino, T. &M. Saheki, 1964. Dentition of wild Japanese monkeys in Takasakiyama—Age changes in the dentition (eruption and attrition). In:Takasakiyama no Saru (Wild Japanese Monkeys in Takasakiyama),J. Itani,J. Ikeda &T. Tanaka (eds.), Keisoshobo, Tokyo, pp. 124–135. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Meteorological Agency, 1982.Climatic Table of Japan, Part 2, Monthly Normals by Stations 1951–1980. Meteorological Agency, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Nigi, H., 1982.Nihonzaru—Sei no Seiri (The Japanese Monkeys—Its Physiology of Sex). Dobutsusha, Tokyo. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Romer, A. S. &T. S. Parson, 1977.The Vertebrate Body (5th ed.). W. B. Saunders, Co., Philadelphia, London & Toronto.Google Scholar
- Ryder, M. L. &S. K. Stephenson, 1968.Wool Growth. Academic Press, London & New York.Google Scholar
- Schultz, A. H., 1931. The density of hair in primates.Human Biol., 3: 303–321.Google Scholar
- Watanabe, T., 1975. Some features of the wild Japanese monkeys (Macaca fuscata) of Shiga A troop from viewpoint of somatometry.Physiol. & Ecol., 16: 55–63. (in Japanese)Google Scholar