Ultrarapid vacuum-microwave histoprocessing
- 23 Downloads
A novel histoprocessing method for paraffin sections is presented in which the combination of vacuum and microwave exposure is the key element. By exploiting the decrease in boiling temperature under vacuum, the liquid molecules in the tissues have been successfully extracted and exchanged at relatively low temperatures during each of the steps from dehydration, clearing, and impregnation. In this vacuum-microwave method, an extremely short time suffices for the preparation of optimal-quality paraffin blocks. No xylene (but isopropanol instead) was used as the intermediate solvent. Thirty biopsies (thickness 2–4 mm) can be processed in 40 min. In addition, this approach can be used to produce large sections of giant blocks (4 × 6 × 1 cm3) which can be easily cut on a routine microtome due to the optimal paraffin impregnation. These giant blocks do not shrink during this vacuum-microwave histoprocessing.
KeywordsParaffin Isopropanol Xylene Suffix Paraffin Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bancroft,J. D. &Stevens,A. (1990)Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques, 3rd edn. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.Google Scholar
- Danielson,C. F.,Block,T.,Brown,G. G. &Summerlin,D. J. (1990) The effect of microwave processing on histochemical staining reactions.J. Histotechnol. 13, 181–3.Google Scholar
- Kok,L. P. &Boon,M. E. (1992)Microwave Cookbook for Microscopists - Art and Science of Visualization. Leiden: Coulomb Press Leyden.Google Scholar
- Kok,L. P. &Boon,M. E. (1994) Nonchemical dehydration of fixed tissue combining microwaves and vacuum.Eur. J. Morphology 32, 22–30.Google Scholar
- Kok, L. P., Visser, P. E. &Boon, M. E. (1993) How to regulate temperature in the microwave oven. In Proceedings 45th Annual Meeting of the Scandinavian Society for Electron Microscopy (edited byKarlsson, G.), Lund, pp. 9–10.Google Scholar
- Kok,L. P.,Visser,P. E. &Boon,M. E. (1994) Programming the microwave oven.J. Neuroscience Meth. 55, 119–24.Google Scholar
- Von Seebach,H. B.,Matheis,H. W.,Biewer,E.,Carbon,D.,Eisenbeis,M. &Lahl,F. (1987) Paraffin-Schnelleinbettung zur Routinediagnostik durch Mikrowellen-Stimulation mit einem Küchengerät (in German).Der Pathologe 8, 247–9.Google Scholar
- Wong,F. T. S. (1990) Microwave stimulated diffusion method for processing oral mucosal tissue of hamster and human being.J. Histotechnol. 13, 127–9.Google Scholar