Tuberculosis of the patella
The case of an 8-year-old boy with tuberculous arthritis of the right knee in whom patellar disease was the only radiological abnormality is presented. The patellar findings were a large lytic area with sclerotic borders containing a dense image corresponding to a sequestrum. Open biopsy was necessary for diagnosis, since the radiological abnormalities are consistent with other chronic infectious diseases.
KeywordsPublic Health Arthritis Infectious Disease Tuberculosis Open Biopsy
- 1.Resnick D, Niwayama G (1981) Diagnosis of bone and joint disorders. Saunders, Philadelphia, p 2178Google Scholar
- 2.Hartofilakidis-Garofalidis G (1969) Cystic tuberculosis of the patella. Report of three cases. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 51: 582Google Scholar
- 3.Davies PD, Humphries MJ, Byfield SP (1984) Bone and joint tuberculosis. A survey of notifications in England and Wales. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 66: 326Google Scholar
- 4.Uriel S, Murguerza I, Echevarría F (1979) Tuberculosis osteoarticular. Presentación de 54 casos. Rev Clin Esp 155: 277Google Scholar
- 5.Willer WB, Murphy WA, Gilula LA (1979) Brodie abscess: reappraisal. Radiology 132: 15Google Scholar