The pylorus in infancy: overall sonographic assessment
- 24 Downloads
A prospective ultrasonic evaluation of the pylorus was performed in two groups of infants, a control group and a group of infants clinically suspected of having hypertrophic pyloric stenosis (HPS). The mean pyloric length in the hypertrophied condition was 84% longer than the mean length in the normal. The mean and standard deviation (sd) for the transverse diameter and pyloric wall thickness in the normals were 7.45±2.2 mm and 2.3±0.7 mm respectively, while the corresponding measurements for the mean and sd in HPS were 13.4±1.6 mm and 4.5±0.9 mm. In most of the HPS cases the known morphological changes of the antro-pyloric region such as: impingement on the fluid filled antrum, pre-pyloric antral thickening, extension of fluid into the proximal portion of the pyloric canal and the angle formed between antral peristaltic wave and pyloric mass, were observed. Detection of these changes furnished further criteria for highly accurate diagnosis of HPS even of borderline cases.
Key wordsHypertrophic pyloric stenosis Pylorus Stomach Digestive system Outlet obstruction Ultrasound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Teele RL, Smith EH (1977) Ultrasound in the diagnosis of idiopathic pyloric stenosis. N Engl J Med 269: 1149Google Scholar
- 2.Strauss S, Itzchak Y, Manor A, Heyman Z, Graif M (1981) Sonography of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Am J Roentgenol 136: 1057Google Scholar
- 3.Blumhagen JD, Coombs JB (1981) Ultrasound in the diagnosis of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. J Clin Ultrasound 6 (9): 289Google Scholar
- 4.Franken EA Jr (1975) Gastrointestinal radiology in pediatrics. Harper & Row, New York, pp 82–83Google Scholar
- 5.Nielson OF (1974) Anomalies of the stomach. In: Bochus HL (ed) Gastroenterology. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 1100–1103Google Scholar
- 7.Girdany BR (1978) The stomach. In: Caffey J (ed) Pediatric X-ray diagnosis, 7th edn. Year Book Medical, Chicago, London, pp 703–707Google Scholar
- 8.Blumhagen JD, Noble HGS (1983) Muscle thickness in hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: sonographic determination. Am J Roentgenol 140: 221Google Scholar