A pancreatic pseudocyst with pancreatic pleural effusion: Report of a case
- 71 Downloads
A 54-year-old man with a 30-year history of chronic alcoholism was admitted to our hospital suffering from dyspnea and left-sided chest pain. A chest radiograph revealed pleural effusion. Computed tomography revealed a pancreatic pseudocyst in the tail of the pancreas spreading out to the posterior mediastinum and the left pleural cavity. The laboratory findings of pleural effusion were as follows: amylase, 118400 IU/1; protein, 4.6 g/dl; class I in cytology. Despite a reduction in the pleural effusion by conservative therapy, left back pain and a recurrence of the pleural effusion were observed after oral intake was re-initiated. A distal pancreatectomy and ligation of the pancreaticopleural fistula were thus performed on the 75th hospital day. The patient made a complete recovery from pancreatic pleural effusion and has now been well for 9 years.
Key Wordspancreatic pseudocyst pancreatic pleural effusion chronic pancreatitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kimoto S, Wada T (1989) Chronic pancreatitis. In: Suzuki T, Uchiyama T (eds) New encyclopedia of surgical science. Nakayama-Shoten, Tokyo, pp 67–115Google Scholar
- 3.Kuwayama H, Takeuchi K, Ikeda Y, Matsuda M, Tashiro Y, Tomino Y, Kohashi E, Gomi K, Abe M, Kanda H, Matsuo Y, Honda T, Azuma Y, Otoguro M, Saegusa Y, Horigome M (1983) ERP in patients with pancreatic pleural effusion (in Japanese with English abstract). Gastroenterol Endose 25:995–1005Google Scholar
- 4.Kamiya Y, Gotoh K, Noguchi Y, Shiraki S, Okayama Y, Ohhara H, Iida M, Andoh H, Sano H, Hoshino M, Takeuchi T (1993) Two cases of pancreatic pleural effusion—with a brief review of the pertinent literature (in Japanese with English abstract). Suizo (Jpn J Pancreas Soc) 7:645–651Google Scholar
- 6.Nagai S, Sakai M, Chin B, Morishita R, Miyake T, Uchino H, Manabe T (1983) Chronic pancreatitis with pleural effusion: A case report and review of the Japanese literature (in Japanese). Jpn J Gastroenterol 80:2269–2274Google Scholar
- 10.Kuroda S, Sennami D, Nagai H, Atomi H, Morioka K (1986) Pancreatic pleural effusion and ascites (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Biliary Tract & Pancreas) 7:407–415Google Scholar
- 11.Nakagawa K, Momono S, Sasaki Y, Furusawa A, Ujiie N (1991) A case of chronic pancreatitis complicated with pancreaticopleural fistula (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Biliary Tract & Pancreas) 12:821–825Google Scholar
- 13.Yamashina T, Maruyama Y, Fujita H, Oota H, Akiyama S, Inaoka Y, Kida M, Niitu Y (1993) A case report of pancreatic ascites and pleural effusions accompanied with pancreatic pseudocyst. A trial treatment of ethanol injection for pancreatic pseudocyst (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Biliary Tract & Pancreas) 14:995–1000Google Scholar
- 14.Kobayashi T, Kimura T, Yoshida M, Sakuramachi S, Yoshino A, Kawabe A, Kubota O, Ishihara Y, Arigaki A, Suzuki K, Harada Y, Shimura M (1995) Pancreatic pseudocyst with internal fistula into the pleural cavity. Diagnosed by computed tomography. Report of a case (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Biliary Tract & Pancreas) 16:615–619Google Scholar