Preliminary observations on the birth and development ofPropithecus verreauxi to the age of six months
- 82 Downloads
In this paper, preliminary observations are presented on the ontogency of one of the Malagasy prosimians,Propithecus verreauxi. Observations were carried out in the course of an eighteen-month study of the social organization and ecology of four, free-ranging groups. Parturition is described, together with data on the development of locomotor and feeding behavior, and on the changing nature of the infant's relationship with its mother and with other members of the group. The final section compares the results of this study with those of previous studies ofP. verreauxi and other lemur species. Tentative conclusions are drawn concerning aspects of social ontogeny inP. verreauxi and areas for future research are suggested which would clarify some of the remaining problems.
KeywordsSocial Organization Feeding Behavior Final Section Animal Ecology Preliminary Observation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hinde, R. A., 1974.Biological Bases of Human Social Behaviour. McGraw-Hill Book Co.Google Scholar
- Jolly, A., 1966.Lemur Behavior. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Klopfer, P. H. &M. S. Klopfer, 1970. Patterns of maternal care in lmuers I: Normative description.Z. Tierpsychol., 27: 984–996.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, P., 1972. Play and the evolution of language. Unpublished Ph. D. thesis, Yale University.Google Scholar
- Richard, A. F., 1973. The social organization and ecology ofPropithecus verreauxi. Unpublished Ph. D. thesis, London University.Google Scholar
- ————, 1974a. Intra-specific variation in the social organization and ecology ofPropithecus verreauxi.Folia primat., 22: 178–207.Google Scholar
- ————, 1974b. Patterns of mating inPropithecus verreauxi. In:Prosimian Biology,R. D. Martin,A. C. Walker, &G. Doyle (eds.), Duckworth & Co., London.Google Scholar
- ---- &R. Heimbuch, 1975. An analysis of the social behavior of three groups ofPropithecus verreauxi. In:Lemur Biology,I. Tattersall & R. W. Sussman (eds.), Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- ----, in press.A Study of Intra-specific Behavioral Variation in a Malagasy lemur, Propithecus verreauxi. Bucknell University Press.Google Scholar
- Sussman, R. W., in press. Socialization, social structure, and ecology of two sympatric species ofLemur. In:Primate Socialization,S. Chevalier-Skolnikoff & F. E. Poirier (eds.), Aldine Press, Chicago.Google Scholar