Aotus vociferans ×Aotus nancymai: Sympatry without chromosomal hybridation
- 40 Downloads
In a study relating geographic distribution ofAotus populations with karyotype and coat pattern,Hershkovitz (1983) suggested that this genus comprises nine species.A. vociferans (2n=46) is distributed along the left bank of the Maranon river, andA. nancymai (2n=54) along the right bank of the same river. In the present study we analyzed the karyotypes of 11A. vociferans and 11A. nancymai specimens using G- and C-banding and NOR-staining. Of these animals, fiveA. vociferans were sympatric with fiveA. nancymai in Isla Aramaza, Colombia; oneA. vociferans was sympatric with threeA. nancymai in Yahuma, Peru; oneA. vociferans was sympatric with threeA. nancymai in Terezinha I, Brazil. No signs of hybridation between the taxa was observed at any time, with allA. vociferans having 2n=46 and allA. nancymai 2n=54, as previously reported in the literature. These data suggest thatA. vociferans andA. nancymai should indeed be distinct species.
Key WordsAotus Cytogenetic Sympatry Taxonomy Cebidae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ciomanec, J. C. &A. K. Campbell, 1977. Breeding the owl monkey (Aotus trivirgatus) in a laboratory environment.Lab. Anim. Sci., 27: 512–517.Google Scholar
- de Boer, L. E. M., 1974. Cytotaxonomy of the Platyrrhini (Primates).Genen. Phaenenm., 17: 1–115.Google Scholar
- Elliot, M. E., P. H. Sehgal, &L. V. Chalifoux, 1976. Management and breeding ofAotus trivirgatus.Lab. Anim. Sci., 26: 1037–1040.Google Scholar
- Giraldo, A., M. L. Bueno, E. Silva, J. Ramirez, J. Umana, &C. Espinal, 1986. Estudio Citogenetico de 288Aotus Colombianos.Biomedica, 6 (1–2): 5–13.Google Scholar
- Koiffmann, C. P. &P. H. Saldanha, 1974. Cytogenetic of brazilian monkeys.J. Human Evol., 3: 275–282.Google Scholar
- Ma, N. S. F., 1981. Chromosome evolution in the owl monkey,Aotus. Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 54: 293–303.Google Scholar
- ————,B. M. Renquist, R. Hall, P. K. Sehgal, T. Simeone, &T. C. Jones, 1980. XX/“XO” sex determination system in a population of Peruvian owl monkey,Aotus. J. Hered., 71: 336–342.Google Scholar
- Mudry de Pargament, M. D., O. J. Collilas, &S. B. de Salum, 1984. TheAotus from Northern Argentina.Primates, 25: 530–537.Google Scholar
- Nagamachi, C. Y. &I. Ferrari, 1984. Cytogenetic studies ofCallithrix jacchus (Callithricidae, Platyrrhini) from two different sites in Brazil. I. Morphologic variability of chromosome Y.Brazil. J. Genet., 7 (3): 497–507.Google Scholar
- ————, ————, &R. M. S. Barros, 1989. The karyotype ofAteles paniscus paniscus (Cebidae, Primates): 2n=32.Brazil. J. Genet., 12 (3): 543–551.Google Scholar