Thiophenes and benzofurans in the undisturbed rhizosphere ofTagetes patula L.
- 104 Downloads
Marigold (Tagetes patula L.) contains secondary metabolites toxic to various organisms. While these compounds may function as defensive agents in the plant, it is not clear whether they are exuded into the rhizosphere. Using a continuous root exudate trapping system and capillary column gas chromatography/mass spectrometry/data system, four thiophenes and two benzofurans were identified in the root exudates collected from the undisturbed rhizosphere of marigold. The importance of rhizospheric chemistry in the study of allelopathy is stressed.
Key wordsAllelopathy Benzofurans Marigold Nematode Rhizosphere Root exudate Tagetes patula L Thiophenes Soil organics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bohlmann F and Zdero C 1979 Uber dimere Terpenketone ausTagetes gracilis. Phytochemistry 18, 341–343Google Scholar
- 2.Dowum K 1981 Photosensitizing thiophenes from the Tageteae. Ph. D. Thesis, University of British Columbia.Google Scholar
- 4.Arnason J T, Wat C K, Partington S, Lam J, Swain T and Towers G H N 1981 Mosquito larvicides from polyacetylenes occurring naturally in the Asteraceae. Biochem. System. Ecol. 9, 63–67.Google Scholar
- 5.Gommers F J, Bakker J and Smits L 1980 Effects of singlet Oxygen generated by the nematicidal compounda-terthienyl from Tagetes on the nematodeAphelenchus avenae. Nematologica 26, 369–375.Google Scholar
- 6.Wat C K, Johns T and Towers G H N 1980 Phototoxic effects and antibiotic activities of plants of the Asteraceae used in folk medicine. J Ethnopharmocol. 2, 279–283.Google Scholar
- 7.Yanamoto E, Wat C K, MacRae W D, Towers G H N and Chen C F Q 1979 Photoinactivat of human erythrocyte enzymes bya-terthienyl and phenylheptatriyne, natually occuring compounds in Asteracea. FEBS Letters 107, 134–136.Google Scholar
- 9.Altiera M A and Doll J D 1978 The potential of allelopathy as a tool for weed management in crops. PANS 24, 495–502.Google Scholar
- 10.Daulton R A C and Curtis R F 1963 The effects ofTagetes spp. onMeloidogyne javanica in southern Rhodesia. Nematologica 9, 357–362.Google Scholar
- 11.Tang C S and Young C C 1982 Collection and identification of allelopathic compounds from the undisturbed root system of bigalta limpograss (Hemarthira altissima). Plant Physiol. 69, 155–160.Google Scholar