The social relationships of twin common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus) and their breeding success
- 31 Downloads
In a series of five experiments, female/female twin and male/male twin common marmosets were observed in each of the following social situations: as offspring in their respective family groups; housed together as twins; in competition for a mate and in the heterosexual pairs resulting from this competition. Quantitative records were made of their behaviour. These were then related to winning or losing the competition for a mate. Individuals who demonstrated more “assertive” behaviour and won the competition (winners) were not in every experiment faster to produce and rear offspring than were the less “assertive” animals (losers). Categories of behaviour described as “assertive” predicted the outcome of the competition in most cases, but were not good indicators of future breeding potential.
KeywordsSocial Relationship Animal Ecology Social Situation Breeding Success Family Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Epple, G., 1967. Vergleichende Untersuchungen über Sexualund Socialverhalten der Krallenaffen (Hapalidae).Folia Primatol., 1: 37–65.Google Scholar
- ————, 1975. The behaviour of marmoset monkeys (Callitrichidae).Prim. Behav., 4: 195–239.Google Scholar
- Fitzgerald, A., 1935. Rearing marmosets in captivity.J. Mammal., 16: 181–188.Google Scholar
- Hearn, J. A. &S. F. Lunn, 1975. The reproductive biology of the marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus).Lab. Anim. Handb., 6: 191–202.Google Scholar
- Ingram, J., 1975. Parent-infant interactions in the common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) and the development of young. Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol.Google Scholar
- Pook, A. G., 1976. A comparative study of the vocalizations of the saddleback tamarin (Saguinus fuscicollis) and the common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus). Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Reading, Reading.Google Scholar
- Rothe, H., 1971. Beobachtungen, Analysen und Experimente zum Handgebrauch vonCallithrix jacchus (Erzleben, 1777). Unpub. Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Keil, West Germany.Google Scholar
- Stevenson M. F., 1977. The behaviour and ecology of the common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus jacchus) in its natural environment.Prim. Eye, 9: 5–6.Google Scholar
- White, C., 1952. The use of ranks in a test of significance for comparing two treatments.Biometrics, 8: 33–41.Google Scholar